- Huntington Art Walk Resumes Thursday in Downtown; Author at Adell's Antiques
- BOOK REVIEW: 'The Opposite of Loneliness': Marina Keegan's Posthumous Collection of Essays, Stories
- OP-ED: Life Near the Mexican Border
- Jacobs-Jones named senior vice president for operations
- Advertising majors win district competition
- Sen. Manchin Introduces Bill to Keep 150 WV Post Offices Open for Two Years
- CONSUMER ALERT: Jury Duty Phishing Scam; Verified by Snopes
- Mayor Tells Comcast, "Folks Aren't Happy...."
- Ginseng Harvest Returns as "Appalachian Outlaws"
- BOOK REVIEW: 'Not Cool': Gutfeld at His Best
IMAGE GALLERY: Akron Drops Lackluster Marshall
Tuesday, January 3, 2012 - 22:39 by Chris Spencer, HNN Photographer
Akron was 11-31 for 35.5% in the first half and then came back to shoot 17-30 in the second half for 56.7% for a game total of 28-61 and 45.9%. Marshall in comparison was 22-58 for 37.9%.
From the three point line Akron was 6-15 for 40% to Marshall's 2-11 for 18.2%. From the foul line Akron was 50% to Marshall's 31.3%.
The New Years Day game brought an attendance of 6,063 making it the second largest attendance of the season. Marshall fans were disappointed the Herd did not play up to their usual level.
The bright spot for Marshall was when Shaquille Johnson hit the 1,000 point mark when he made a lay-up shot with 13:25 left in the game. Johnson finished the game with 11 points.
The 4 PM start was delayed because of basketball net problems. Both nets were worked on. The game did not start until 5:05 PM.
Marshall is 9-4 and Akron is 8-6 for the season as we move into 2012.