- CARIBBEAN VIEW: Venezuela in financial difficulty, will Petro Caribe survive?
- Penguins Come Out for Turkey Holiday; Hunger Likely Boxoffice Winner
- OP-ED: There Goes Virginia's Climate
- MILITARY-INDUSTRIAL COMPLEX: Defense Dept. Contracts for Nov. 26, 2014
- MILITARY-INDUSTRIAL COMPLEX: Defense Dept. Contracts for Nov. 24, 2014
- MILITARY-INDUSTRIAL COMPLEX: Defense Dept. Contracts for Nov. 21, 2014
- Council OK's Four Huntington Fire Department Grant Aps
- FREDDIE MAC: Mortgage Rates Remain Low Heading Into Holiday Weekend
- Landau Eugene Murphy Jr. Brings His 2014 Murphy and Motown Christmas Tour to Huntington WV
- Detroit Heroin Dealer Pleads Guilty to Huntington Charges
Softball Wins Game One of the Season, 4-1
Thanks a strong pitching performance from starting pitcher Andi Williamson and a go ahead home run from starting third baseman Jazmine Valle, Marshall won their first game of the year.
Georgia Southern (1-0) was able to score first after an error from Valle in the third inning. However, the Thundering Herd would respond with two runs each in the fourth and fifth innings.
Alysia Hively got things started in the fourth with a single and the next pitch later, Valle smacked a homer over the left center fence to take a 2-1 lead. In the next inning Melissa Loesing would get on base via a bunt single then would score off a wild pitch.
A sacrifice fly from Hively would advance Alianna Telles to home to extend the lead to 4-1. The Herd’s three run lead would stay intact thanks to strong pitching from Williamson. During seven innings of work, she struck out seven while allowing seven hits.
She also held the Eagles to no runs in the last three innings of the game when Georgia Southern left a total of seven runners on base.
Marshall(1-0) is back in action later this evening when they take on George Mason. First pitch is scheduled for 6:30 p.m.