- Police Execute Arrest Warrants, Arrest Suspect in Shooting Near Hospital
- Marshall psychology doctoral degree ranked No. 2 in the U.S.
- "What the Night Can Do" begins filming in Lewisburg Sep. 26
- Hundreds of Nonprofit Organizations Join to Demand Reform of "Rogue" Agency
- Rooster's Hosts Princess Night with Mickey and Minnie Mouse IMAGES
- Hallowed WTC Steel Relics Arrive in Huntington IMAGES
- Man Charged with Child Neglect and Drug Possession
- UPDATE: Pike County Multiple Murder Investigation; Redacted Autopsy Reports Released
- Council Members Discuss Unsafe Structures during Work Session
- Council Discusses Recycling Matter That County Failed to Put on Ballot
Softball Wins Game One of the Season, 4-1
Thanks a strong pitching performance from starting pitcher Andi Williamson and a go ahead home run from starting third baseman Jazmine Valle, Marshall won their first game of the year.
Georgia Southern (1-0) was able to score first after an error from Valle in the third inning. However, the Thundering Herd would respond with two runs each in the fourth and fifth innings.
Alysia Hively got things started in the fourth with a single and the next pitch later, Valle smacked a homer over the left center fence to take a 2-1 lead. In the next inning Melissa Loesing would get on base via a bunt single then would score off a wild pitch.
A sacrifice fly from Hively would advance Alianna Telles to home to extend the lead to 4-1. The Herd’s three run lead would stay intact thanks to strong pitching from Williamson. During seven innings of work, she struck out seven while allowing seven hits.
She also held the Eagles to no runs in the last three innings of the game when Georgia Southern left a total of seven runners on base.
Marshall(1-0) is back in action later this evening when they take on George Mason. First pitch is scheduled for 6:30 p.m.