- MILITARY-INDUSTRIAL COMPLEX: Defense Dept. Contracts for Aug. 20, 2014
- MILITARY-INDUSTRIAL COMPLEX: Defense Dept. Contracts for Aug. 19, 2014
- Green and White High School Football Record Setter on Screen
- City Welcomes Intern for Promoting Events
- CFPB Takes Action Against Auto Finance Company for Distorting Borrower Credit Reports; First Investors Fined $2.75 Million for Knowingly Providing Inaccurate Information to Credit Reporting Agencies for Years
- CARIBBEAN VIEW: No Caribbean Appetite for a Rum Fight
- DEVELOPING: Former MU Coach Perry Moss Dead
- Appalachian Uprising Becomes Jewel City Jamboree in 2015
- Chief Johnson Shakes Up Huntington Druggies in a Style Reminiscent of John Wayne
- Huntington Council Agenda Announced; Work Session Monday Evening
Satellite TV Airing WV Mining Disaster Documentary
On April 5, 2010, a massive explosion ripped through Massey Energy's Upper Big Branch mine in West Virginia, leading to the deaths of 29 coal miners. Join host Charles Annenberg Weingarten and the explore team as they enter the heart of Appalachia to meet the community torn apart by the disaster, and learn about their fight to protect the environment and rebuild their way of life.
The heritage of coal mining runs deep in every family in the once-thriving Boone and Raleigh counties, West Virginia. Now going through hard times, every stakeholder has a different belief about coal and how to resurrect the region. But all agree that Marsh Fork Elementary School, sitting precariously below a dam holding back billions of gallons of toxic coal slurry in the town of Sundial, is the site of the next disaster waiting to happen.
Watch exclusive supplemental explore content before the film's premiere: "Conservation in Coal Country" by clicking: http://www.linktv.org/programs/explore-west-virginia .