- MILITARY-INDUSTRIAL COMPLEX: Defense Dept. Contracts for Sep. 19, 2014
- IMAGES: Midland Tops H.H.S. 31-26
- Marshall University celebrates grand opening of ‘world-class’ Visual Arts Center in downtown Huntington
- WV Broadcasting Hall of Fame announces 2014 inductees
- Three Arrestees Now Face Wanton Endangerment Charges for Whiskey Rocks Shooting Spree
- Barboursville Pharmacy Owner Arraigned on Drug Distribution, Money Laundering Charges
- United Way Fall Campaign to kick off Sept. 22 on Marshall University’s Huntington campus
- Shaheen, LeMay will read from their work Oct. 6 at Marshall University
- OP-ED: Nonviolent Men: The New Silent Majority
- Former Secretary of State, Congressman Ken Hechler Turns 100 Years Old September 20
Ohio AG Certifies Petition to Redefine Marriage
Wednesday, April 4, 2012 - 01:11 Special to HuntingtonNews.Net
On March 26, 2012, the Ohio Attorney General's Office received a written petition to add and repeal language to the Ohio Constitution from the committee to represent the petitioners. The submission was certified today as containing both the necessary 1,000 valid signatures from registered Ohio voters and a "fair and truthful" summary of the proposed amendment.
"Without passing on the advisability of the approval or rejection of the measure to be referred… I hereby certify that the summary is a fair and truthful statement of the proposed constitutional amendment," Attorney General DeWine stated in a letter to the petitioners.
Once the summary language and initial signatures are certified the Ohio Ballot Board must determine if the amendment contains a single or multiple issues. The petitioners must then collect signatures in 44 of Ohio's 88 counties, equal to 5 percent of the total vote cast in the county for the office of governor at the last gubernatorial election. Total signatures collected statewide must also equal 10 percent of the vote cast for the office of governor in the last gubernatorial election.
The full text of today's letter and of the amendment petitions may be found at