- Huntington Has At Least Nine Heroin Overdose Deaths in January 2015
- "American Sniper's" Breaks All January Records; Expect it to Wipe Out "Boy Next Door" and "Mortdecai"
- Marshall Athletics Ticket Office Hours Announced
- Calling all bird lovers! North Bend State Park’s Winter Wonder Weekend Jan. 16-18, 2015, is “For the Birds”
- CARIBBEAN VIEW: Cutting loose the shackles of the past: Cuba and the US
- OP-ED: US Attends, then Defies Conference on Nuclear Weapons Effects & Abolition
- OP-ED: How About Another Christmas Truce?
- How Will a Good Ole' Boy Hollywood Treat Female 'Pleasures' in "Fifty Shades of Grey?'
- PARALLEL UNIVERSE: Sending Money to Countries That Hate Us Makes No Sense at All
- MILITARY-INDUSTRIAL COMPLEX: Defense Dept. Contracts for Jan. 20, 2015
Marshall to Clash with Golden Eagles in Three Game Series
Game one of the C-USA series will take place on Friday at 7 p.m. ET with the two squads finishing out the weekend with a doubleheader at 11 a.m. and 1 p.m. on Saturday.
The Thundering Herd (20-15) has taken all six road conference games this season. Sweeps over Memphis and UTEP have helped propel the Herd to an 8-4 Conference USA record.
Marshall is coming off a single loss on Wednesday to the hands of Chattanooga. The Mocs downed the Herd 4-1 thanks to a three run fifth to break open the tie ballgame. In the most recent conference action, Marshall traveled west and swept the UTEP Miners last weekend. The bats for the Herd were the difference as it outslugged one of the nation’s top hitting teams and even shutout the Miners on Sunday thanks to a complete game victory from pitcher Andi Williamson.
Multiple players have been performing well at the dish for The Herd. Taylor Thompson is the mist of an eight game hitting streak while Alianna Telles has collected nine hits over the last four contests. Alysia Hively has been pounding the ball. The junior has raised her batting average drastically in the last five games of action to .333, second best on the team.
The Southern Miss (11-20, 3-9 C-USA) offense is led by two hitters, Caroline Walker and Leslie Lejune. Both are batting over .300, with Walker leading the way at a .350 average. She also has the best on-base percentage with a mark of .418 and is tops in doubles with 6. Lejune, an outfielder was a member of the C-USA preseason all-conference team. She is the team leader in hits (32) and runs batted in (18). The senior has collected six extra base hits, including two triples.
The Eagles use three pitchers. Beth Dietrich has thrown the most innings on the squad. She has five wins to lead USM and has struckout a team 56 batters. Courtney Ramos is 4-8 and enjoys the best earned run average on the club at 3.31.
Each game of the weekend set will have GameTracker and All-Access video available through HerdZone.com. Fans are also invited to participate in the free in-game chats during each contest.