Late Goal Lifts Herd Past Saint Francis, 2-1

Special to HuntingtonNews.Net
Late Goal Lifts Herd Past Saint Francis, 2-1

ONA, WV -- An overcast and humid evening here at Cabell Midland High School did not slow the Marshall women’s soccer team in Friday’s action as the Thundering Herd came from behind and defeated Saint Francis (Pa.) 2-1.


Marshall improved to 2-2 on the season and 2-0 in the all-time series with the Red Flash.  Saint Francis dropped to 1-3.


Marshall forward Chelsey Maiden added her first goal of the season in the 83rd minute after assisting one from fellow senior Sarah Vinson in the 14th.


The Flash struck first in the contest as sophomore forward Eloa Nascimento buried a free kick into the side netting of the near post just over 12 minutes in.  The goal was her first of the season and matched her season total from 2011.


With a sense of urgency, Marshall responded with a shot, two corner kicks, and a goal within the next 90 seconds.  The goal – Vinson’s first of the season – came when Maiden’s crossing pass found her unmarked teammate alone at the penalty mark.  A single touch was all Vinson needed to level the match at one. 


For the remainder of the match, the Herd continued its aggressive play, dominating the possession and finding scoring chances at nearly every turn.


It was not until the 83rd minute, however, that Marshall was able to capitalize on its chances.  On somewhat of a counterattack, Maiden raced down the right side and slid her shot beneath the diving reach of SFU goalkeeper Brianna Butcher to give the Herd the lead. 


Butcher finished with five saves, facing 16 total shots from a dominant Marshall offense.


Herd goalkeeper Lindsey Kerns made five saves, none finer that the denial of two-time Northeastern Conference Player of the Year Tesa McKibben’s would-be tying goal in the final minute.  McKibben took three shots – all on goal – and nearly forced overtime with a strike from 20 yards out that was labeled for the back of the net but caught by the Herd’s senior goalkeeper with 60 seconds left on the clock.


As a team, Marshall limited SFU to seven shots – six of which were put on frame.


MU won the corner kicks battle at 5-1.

Comments powered by Disqus