- Fed Ex Warns of Fraudulent Email
- Pro-Life Leaders Cole and Armstead to Address Pro Life Crowd
- Thundering Herd Community Mourns the Loss of Emileigh Cooper
- Nostalgic Images of Ten Forgotten Huntington Venues
- Marshall to host 44th annual speech and debate tournament for high school students
- Attorney General Morrisey Hails Historic and Unprecedented Victory Against EPA
- Del. Miller First GOP Woman to Preside over House of Delegates
- MILITARY-INDUSTRIAL COMPLEX: Defense Dept. Contracts for Dec. 19, 2014
- Panda Hugs and Crafts Greet Marquee Pullman Moviegoers IMAGES
- Marshall’s 47th Annual Jazz Festival to sound off Feb. 18-20
Herd Places 11 on Phil Steele’s Midseason All-Conference USA Squad
Herd quarterback Rakeem Cato, wide receivers Aaron Dobson and Tommy Shuler, tight end Gator Hoskins and strong safety Dominick LeGrande all earned first-team honors. The four offensive first-team selections are a C-USA-high.
Cato leads the nation in completions (218), passing yards (2,311) and total offense (2,351) and is tied for second with 18 touchdowns. Dobson, who along with Shuler is a Biletnikoff Award Watch List pick, is second on the team with 42 catches for 483 yards and two TDs. Shuler is tied for first nationally with 58 receptions to go with his 562 receiving yards and one touchdown. Hoskins is tied for fourth nationally with seven TD receptions (18 total receptions for 207 yards), which is two more than any other tight end in the country. LeGrande is second nationally with 69 tackles, six more than any other defensive back in the country. He also has three tackles for loss, an interception, a pass breakup and a forced fumble.
Defensive end Alex Bazzie and free safety Okechukwu Okoroha were named to the second team. Bazzie is the team’s third-leading tackler with 47 tackles, including 4.5 for a loss of 17 yards to go with two pass breakups. Okoroha is the team’s second-leading tackler with 59 stops, including 1.5 for a loss of one yard to go with three pass breakups and one fumble recovery.
The four third-teamers were middle linebacker Jermaine Holmes, center Chris Jasperse, punter Tyler Williams and wide receiver Antavious Wilson. Holmes has 36 tackles, including a team-high 7.5 for a loss of 14 yards. Jasperse has played every meaningful snap for the Herd and has yet to allow a sack for an offense that has run the most plays nationally (552). Williams has averaged 46.3 yards per punt, the seventh-best average nationally, and has seven 50-plus-yard punts to go along with nine that have been placed inside the 20-yard line. Wilson is third on the team with 32 catches for 390 yards and three TDs.
After an open date Saturday, Marshall (2-4 overall, 1-1 C-USA) will return to action Oct. 20 at Southern Miss (0-5, 0-1) for a 7 p.m. ET (6 p.m. CT) kickoff. The game will be televised on CBS Sports Network.