- MILITARY-INDUSTRIAL COMPLEX: Defense Dept. Contracts for Aug. 29, 2014
- CARIBBEAN VIEW: Scotland’s Independence: Does it matter?
- Chief Johnson Shakes Up Huntington Druggies in a Style Reminiscent of John Wayne
- A Dad’s Point-of-View: No One Is More Vicious than…
- CARIBBEAN VIEW: No Caribbean Appetite for a Rum Fight
- Gridiron Streak as Metaphor for Life's Challenges Score Touchdowns for "Game"
- OP-ED: Michael Brown and America’s Structural Violence Epidemic
- BOOK REVIEW: 'Above the East China Sea': The Okinawa Experience for 2 Teen-Aged Girls
- MILITARY-INDUSTRIAL COMPLEX: Defense Dept. Contracts for Aug. 22, 2014
- MILITARY-INDUSTRIAL COMPLEX: Defense Dept. Contracts for Aug. 8, 2014
Williams Named Semifinalist for Ray Guy Award
Williams leads Conference USA and is eighth nationally with a 45.81-yard average. Of his 32 punts, 12 have been placed inside the 20-yard line, six have been fair-caught and 10 have been of the 50-yards-plus variety. On the season, the Herd is fourth nationally in net punting with a 45.67-yard mark. The 6-foot, 195-pound Williams was named Conference USA Special Teams Player of the Week following his Sept. 22 performance at Rice, where he averaged 50.8 yards (including a 66-yarder) on his five kicks, dropping three inside the 20.
If he maintains his current average, Williams will set the single-season school record, surpassing that of Travis Colquitt, who averaged 45.1 yards on 37 kicks in 1994.
The candidates were evaluated on their overall statistics and contribution to the team. Particular emphasis was placed on the punter’s net average, percentage of total punts inside the 20-yard line and percentage of punts not returned. A national voting body of Football Bowl Subdivision (FBS) coaches, sports information directors, national media and former Ray Guy Award winners will decide the three award finalists, who will be announced on November 19. Voters will then cast a second round of ballots to decide the winner.
The presentation of the Ray Guy Award will be featured on The Home Depot College Football Awards live on Thursday, December 6 at 7:30 pm ET on ESPN. The show, hosted by ESPN’s Chris Fowler, Lee Corso, Kirk Herbstreit and Desmond Howard will feature live presentation of nine player awards, along with the recipients of Disney’s Spirit Award, The Home Depot Coach of the Year Award, the NCFAA (National College Football Awards Association) Contributions to College Football Award, and student-athletes selected to the Walter Camp All-America Team.
The Augusta Sports Council created the Ray Guy Award in 2000 to honor Thomson, Georgia native and College Football Hall of Fame inductee, Ray Guy. The Ray Guy Award winner is determined by a national voting body of sports writers, college coaches, sports information directors, and past Ray Guy Award winners. Among the statistics used to identify the winner is net punting average, number of times a punt is downed or kicked out of bounds inside the opponents 20-yard line, total yardage punted, average returned yardage, and percentage of punts not returned. The winner must display team leadership, self-discipline, and have a positive impact on the team’s success.