- BREAKING ... West Virginia State Police to Consider Caserta Complaint
- Caserta Asks Prosecutor to Reconsider Petition Against Williams
- Mayor Williams Has not Yet Received Notification of State Police Investigation
- Mark Clarke Named Wildlife Manager of the Year
- West Virginia Trout Stocking Week of March 9-13, 2015
- Ribbon Cutting: Corridor H, Bismarck to Tucker County Line
- Jabberwowcky Kicks off DAWG's Pullman Thursday Series
- CIVIL WAR OP-ED: Old Times are not forgotten in the South
- BOOK REVIEW: 'Don't Make the Black Kids Angry': More Accounts of Violence in the Wake of 'White Girl Bleed a Lot'
- Bunny Bombshell Appears as Valkyrie
Marshall to play at Villanova Sunday
Saturday, November 10, 2012 - 20:18 Special to HuntingtonNews.Net
The game is the Herd’s first of four consecutive games away from home, all of which are a part of the 2K Sports Classic benefitting Wounded Warrior Project.
Marshall is coming off a dominating performance, defeating Longwood 81-47 on Friday. The 47 points by the Lancers was the fewest allowed in a season opener since 1950 when Fairmont State scored 34. The Herd was led by junior guards DeAndre Kane and D.D. Scarver who each finished with a game-high 18 points.
Villanova, picked 12th in the Big East Preseason Poll, returns eight players from last year’s squad that went 13-19 overall, 4-11 in the conference. The Wildcats are coming off a 78-58 win over District of Columbia in their season opener on Friday.
The meeting will be the third between the two programs, but the first in regular season play. Marshall won the first meeting 70-68 in overtime in the NIT in New York’s Madison Square Garden in 1967. The last meeting was won by the Wildcats, 84-72 in the first round of the 1984 NCAA Tournament in Milwaukee, Wisc.
Sunday’s game will serve as a homecoming for Philadelphia sophomore forward Jamir Hanner who played at South Philadelphia High School. Assistant coach Dino Pressley is also from The City of Brotherly Love. He graduated from nearby Kutztown University in 1993.
The game will be shown on ESPN3.com with Dave Leno and John Celestand calling the action. It can also be heard throughout the Thundering Herd IMG Sports Network with Frank Giardina on the call. For live twitter scoring updates, follow @Herd_Zone.