- Huntington Art Walk Resumes Thursday in Downtown; Author at Adell's Antiques
- BOOK REVIEW: 'The Opposite of Loneliness': Marina Keegan's Posthumous Collection of Essays, Stories
- OP-ED: Life Near the Mexican Border
- Jacobs-Jones named senior vice president for operations
- Advertising majors win district competition
- Sen. Manchin Introduces Bill to Keep 150 WV Post Offices Open for Two Years
- CONSUMER ALERT: Jury Duty Phishing Scam; Verified by Snopes
- Mayor Tells Comcast, "Folks Aren't Happy...."
- Ginseng Harvest Returns as "Appalachian Outlaws"
- Powerful Data Proves It: Media Messages Influence Eating Disorders in Women and Girls
Marshall to play at Villanova Sunday
Saturday, November 10, 2012 - 20:18 Special to HuntingtonNews.Net
The game is the Herd’s first of four consecutive games away from home, all of which are a part of the 2K Sports Classic benefitting Wounded Warrior Project.
Marshall is coming off a dominating performance, defeating Longwood 81-47 on Friday. The 47 points by the Lancers was the fewest allowed in a season opener since 1950 when Fairmont State scored 34. The Herd was led by junior guards DeAndre Kane and D.D. Scarver who each finished with a game-high 18 points.
Villanova, picked 12th in the Big East Preseason Poll, returns eight players from last year’s squad that went 13-19 overall, 4-11 in the conference. The Wildcats are coming off a 78-58 win over District of Columbia in their season opener on Friday.
The meeting will be the third between the two programs, but the first in regular season play. Marshall won the first meeting 70-68 in overtime in the NIT in New York’s Madison Square Garden in 1967. The last meeting was won by the Wildcats, 84-72 in the first round of the 1984 NCAA Tournament in Milwaukee, Wisc.
Sunday’s game will serve as a homecoming for Philadelphia sophomore forward Jamir Hanner who played at South Philadelphia High School. Assistant coach Dino Pressley is also from The City of Brotherly Love. He graduated from nearby Kutztown University in 1993.
The game will be shown on ESPN3.com with Dave Leno and John Celestand calling the action. It can also be heard throughout the Thundering Herd IMG Sports Network with Frank Giardina on the call. For live twitter scoring updates, follow @Herd_Zone.