- Forensic Science Graduate Program ranks number one in the nation on national assessment test scores
- Mayor, City Have Busy Event Schedule
- HPD Arrest Two for Burglary
- Hot Humid Natsu 2016 Prepares for Fall Con IMAGES
- Rooster's Hosts Princess Night with Mickey and Minnie Mouse IMAGES
- Remains Believed to be Missing Woman Found
- Spook Hunters Visit Pullman Square Marquee Cinema IMAGES
- OSHA issues call to action for West Virginia employers to supply water, rest and shade for workers in scorching heat
- WV Hotdog Festival Saturday at Pullman Square
- A Natsu No Romp for Sailor Moon Crystal and Scouts IMAGES
American Red Cross Around West Virginia
The Conkey family of Morgantown, WV, said the snow was so heavy their roof collapsed. They boarded up two rooms of their home and were heating with a small propane heater. After 7 days, they came to the feeding site in Buckhannon hoping to get the contact information for FEMA. They were surprised when they were offered blankets, food, water and snacks. They said they had no idea that so many people were outside their community caring for others. Their gratitude showed by the emotions and tears they shared with some of the volunteers who offered emotional support.
Jason Cane, a resident of Buckhannon, WV, asks for water. Received food, water and blankets. With wife and 2 small kids at home with no heat, they had been drinking water from a nearby creek. Jason was encouraged to take his family to the Red Cross shelter. With tears streaming down his face and barely able to speak, he thanked the volunteers and left without saying if he would go to the shelter or not.
HOW TO HELP To help people affected by disasters like hurricanes, as well as countless crises at home and around the world, make a donation to support American Red Cross Disaster Relief. Your gift enables the Red Cross to prepare for and provide shelter, food, emotional support and other assistance in response to disasters. Visit www.redcross.org, call 1-800-RED-CROSS, or text the word REDCROSS to 90999 to make a $10 donation. Contributions may also be sent to your local American Red Cross chapter or to the American Red Cross,P.O. Box 37243,Washington,DC20013.
About the American Red Cross:
The American Red Cross shelters, feeds and provides emotional support to victims of disasters; supplies about 40 percent of the nation's blood; teaches skills that save lives; provides international humanitarian aid; and supports military members and their families. The Red Cross is a not-for-profit organization that depends on volunteers and the generosity of the American public to perform its mission. For more information, please visit redcross.org or join our blog at http://blog.redcross.org.