- Marquee Pullman & Pullman Square Turn 10
- MILITARY-INDUSTRIAL COMPLEX: Defense Dept. Contracts for Nov. 21, 2014
- Bates Supports Budget Reductions to Offset Shortfall Projection
- Marshall University receives in-kind software grant from Siemens PLM Software
- US Attorney Collects Over $8 Million for Taxpayers
- Highlanders Triumph Over Midland
- Marshall Men's Basketball: Herd Falls to Seventh-Ranked Louisville, 85-67
- Manchin Statement on President's Immigration Executive Actions
- Schray earns national honors as top professor in West Virginia
- No. 18 @HerdFB Holds Off UAB; Improves to 11-0
Spielberg's "Lincoln" Induces Suspense, Simple Insight into Complex Legalities
Situated during the scavenging last days of the Civil War --- January 1865 and the surrender April 9 --- the President passionately moves heaven and hell to legislatively legitimize his war powers backed action of the Emancipation Proclamation. Screenwriter Tony (“Angels in America,” “Munich”) Kushner melds that which would have been branded automatically BORING into crisp, hard edged, suspenseful drama, which cumulates into similar emotions as the rousing hand clap wrap of a good dude trumping the dark side adventure.
Day-Lewis enthralls and entertains as an often awkwardly comfortable commander in chief who’d rather be espousing symbolic stories to avid listeners. Less than iron but obviously not putty, the accomplished actor swaggers from accomplished legalistic oratory to the vulnerability of a simple husband/wife disagreement escalating into wrenching family choices, conflicts and consequences ironically exacerbated by Lincoln’s multiple obligations.
Prone to small town lawyer adversarial analysis, Day-Lewis magnifies best endless legal rubrics of his slave freedom decision by argumentatively advocating both sides of the judicial fence concerning the propriety of emancipation war powers balanced by narrower constitutional restrictions.
Aside from a few horrific reminders of bludgeoned foot soldiers, “Lincoln” slips into dark, smoky hidden negotiations and strategies that accompany high stakes political lobbying. Kushner’s gift for juggling and unraveling the most convoluted into simplicity allows an insider’s look see of federal government at a time mostly free of multiple gatekeepers, blackberries, and other daunting multi-layered insolation.
Avoiding institutional gridlock political buzz phrases, the 1865 hand shaking, arm twisting, favor laden power and ego stroking easily imparts application of fiscal cliffs, Mid Eastern chaos, non-compromise, activist judges, and another inch along a spectrum toward equality for all. It inevitably taints the absolutely pure “honest” Abe fable for one stained by political realities, then and now.