- McConaughey Tweets "Long Way from 1971..."
- UPDATING ... How Close will 'It Follows' be to 'Get Hard?'
- Fire Destroys Business, Apartment Building on 8th Street
- Huntington Celebrates Lifetimes of Making Magic
- Ginseng Harvest Returns as "Appalachian Outlaws"
- Op-ed: Essay on hope, Israel, Palestine, Bereaved Parents Circle
- SHELLY'S WORLD: The One That Got Away
- CARIBBEAN VIEW: Celebrate the CCJ--and Empower It
- CIVIL WAR OP-ED: Saint Patrick’s Day Tribute to General Patrick Cleburne—The Fighting Irishman
- Summer Films Accent non Super Hero Sequels
Firefighter Safety Grants Available
“I have long been an ardent supporter of federal funding to support public safety on the local level,” said Rahall. “We cannot overstate the importance of raising the public’s awareness of fire prevention measures and improving firefighter safety to reduce fatalities and injuries caused by fire and fire-related hazards every year. The meaning of these words becomes more profound, barely describing the commitment made every day by our firefighters, who risk their own well-being each time they answer an emergency call.”
FEMA will award funding under its Fiscal Year (FY) 2012 Fire Prevention and Safety (FP&S) Grant Program. FP&S grants are awarded to local fire departments to support projects in two categories: activities designed to reach high-risk target groups and mitigate the incidence of death and injuries caused by fire and fire-related hazards (“Fire Prevention and Safety Activity”) and projects aimed at improving firefighter safety, health and wellness through research and development that reduces firefighter fatalities and injuries (“Firefighter Safety Research and Development Activity”).
The application period for the FY 2012 FP&S Grant Program opens Monday, December 17, 2012 and will close on Friday, January 18, 2013 at 5:00 p.m. Eastern Time (ET). In the interim, the FY 2012 FP&S Funding Opportunity Announcement, application materials, and Get Ready Guides are available for review at www.fema.gov/firegrants.