- Following Brief Eulogy to his Father, Huntington Mayor Told Council, "Let's Get to Work..."
- Highlawn Baptist Church, Various Items to Sell at Auction
- Prepared Remarks of Richard Cordray of CFPB on CareCredit Enforcement Action
- 22 Year Old Driver Dies from Crash Injuries
- Marshall Has 21 Named to All-Conference and All-Freshman Teams
- Highlawn Pastor Posted Explanation on Facebook in October
- OP-ED: Murray-Ryan Budget Dumps 51.4% into Military -- Happy Human Rights Day!
- DEA NEWS: Greek National Pleads Guilty in Narco-Terror Conspiracy
- Contaminated Debris of Huntington Pilot Plant Transported by Truck in 1979
- Marshall University Board approves 10-year Master Plan
Cato Named 2013 Player to Watch by Touchdown Club of Columbus
Saturday, December 8, 2012 - 20:59 Special to HuntingtonNews.Net
The TDC considers Cato, a sophomore from Miami, as a prime candidate for the 2013 Sammy Baugh Award, presented to the nation’s top passer. That award was won by the Herd’s Chad Pennington in 1999. Along with Pennington, the TDC has also hosted Marshall’s Randy Moss and Byron Leftwich in past years.
Other TDC Players to Watch included Fresno State quarterback Derek Carr (MWC Player of the Year), Louisiana Tech running back Kenneth Dixon (WAC Freshman of the Year), San Jose State quarterback David Fales, Toledo running back David Fluellen (All-MAC first team), Nevada’s All-American running back Stefphon Jefferson, Miami’s All-American running back Duke Johnson, Northern Illinois’ All-American quarterback Jordan Lynch, Northwestern running back Venric Mark, Washington tight end Austin Seferian-Jenkins, Ohio State linebacker Ryan Shazier (All-Big Ten first team) and Boise State quarterback Joe Southwick.
The announcement capped a big week for the Marshall quarterback, who was named Conference USA’s MVP by league coaches and C-USA Offensive Player of the Year by CollegeSportsMadness.com. He also claimed first team honors from both outlets.
Cato leads the FBS in completions/game (33.83) and passing yards/game (350.08) and is third in TD passes (37), fifth in total offense/game (352.67) and completion percentage (69.5). He also leads C-USA in pass efficiency (147.1). He led a Herd unit that is second in the nation in third-down conversion percentage (54.59) and first downs per game (29.42) and his 66.2% career completion mark (588-of-888) is currently a school record, just ahead of Pennington (65.1) and Leftwich (63.4). Earlier this season, he was named to the Manning Award Watch List (nation’s top collegiate quarterback).
His MVP honor marked the first time C-USA awarded it to an underclassman and it was the Herd’s first since joining Conference USA. He also became the first Marshall offensive player to win a top conference award since Leftwich was named the Mid-American Conference’s Offensive Player of the Year in 2002.
All 12 of the TDC's 2013 Players To Watch will be presented during the 58th Touchdown Club of Columbus Awards Banquet on Saturday, Feb. 9, 2013 at The Lifestyle Communities Pavilion.