- Huntington Shooting Under Investigation
- COMMENTARY: Doctor Needs Patient Support for Trying to Help
- Saturday Tsubasacon Cosplay Contest and Skits
- A Super Cosplaying Saturday Afternoon at Tsubasacon
- Friday Tsubasacon 2016 IMAGES Cosplay
- Man Arrested by Huntington Police for Possession
- Rooster's Hostesses Dress for Princess Night with Mickey and Minnie Mouse IMAGES
- Fire Prevention Parade Packs Downtown; Elsa of WV Inspired Sing-a-Longs
- And the Cosplay Winners Were.... Envelopes Opened at Con IMAGES
- Huntington Police Arrest Male with Firearm on School Property
BOOK NOTES: Census Bureau’s Statistical Abstract Honored for 133 Years as Premier Reference Book
RUSA President Mary Popp said the Statistical Abstract has been indispensable for librarians.
“For the student who needs to know how many rural adults play online games to include in a paper, the business owner trying to identify the number of adults 25 to 34 who purchased sporting goods to plan targeted marketing, the state official who needs to learn about how much air pollution is generated by chemical manufacturing, and many others — along with the reference librarians who work with them — the Statistical Abstract of the United States has been one of our most useful and trusted resources about American life,” Popp said. “RUSA and its members celebrate the staff of the Census Bureau and the Statistical Abstract for the rich resource made available for so many years.”
The Statistical Abstract gathers information from multiple government and nongovernment sources. The Census Bureau announced in March 2011 that it would cease production of the Statistical Abstract after the 2012 edition because of budget constraints and a major investment in digital dissemination of Census Bureau statistics. However, Bernan Press and ProQuest have taken over the Statistical Abstract and have announced that they will produce a 2013 edition.
The Statistical Abstract, published since 1878, has been the authoritative and comprehensive summary of statistics on the social, political and economic organization of the United States. It has been a convenient volume for statistical reference and a guide to sources of more information both in print and on the Web.
For information about the print edition of the 2012 edition, published by Skyhorse, click http://www.amazon.com/Statistical-Abstract-United-States-2012-2013/dp/1616086998/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1355777320&sr=1-1&keywords=statistical+abstract+of+the+united+states+2013. For more information about the Statistical Abstract, view the 2012 edition online, and view ordering information, go to <http://www.census.gov/compendia/statab/>.