- MILITARY-INDUSTRIAL COMPLEX: Defense Dept. Contracts for July 31, 2014
- Former Prison Employee Appears in Federal Court for Sexual Abuse of Inmate
- Thieves Steal Huntington Veteran's Wheel Chair
- Marshall Psychology faculty, students present session at Comic-Con
- CARIBBEAN VIEW: Commonwealth Business Council is Dead: Will a Bankable Entity Arise?
- Perry's Honored; Artisan Cafe to Open
- BOOK REVIEW: '935 Lies': How Governments, Businesses Lie to Us and the Failure of Journalism to Inform Us
- Marshall University School of Medicine announces appointment of new department chairman
- Santana Coming to Games at Pullman Square for Art Walk
- MILITARY-INDUSTRIAL COMPLEX: Defense Dept. Contracts for July 30, 2014
New Council Members Sworn In, Charter Amendment Moves Forward
Brandi Jacobs-Jones, director of finance and administration, filled in for Mayor Kim Wolfe, who did not attend.
The body heard first reading of an ordinance that amends the city charter to add “Christmas Eve” to the listing of legal holidays, specifying that the meeting would be on Wednesday, Dec. 26.
Council voted unanimously to approve the lease/purchase of three pieces of paving equipment for the public works department, to keep the mayor and council’s salary fixed at present level for the next four years, and a budget revision to reflect a $30,000 payout.
Among members speaking during the Good and Welfare portion, vice chairperson Sandra Clements declared herself to be the happiest member on council. She thanked Mayor Wolfe , his administration and council for the demolition , removal of eyesores and keeping the A.D. Lewis Pool open.
Thacker referred to the departing members as almost “family” and expressed hope that their faces would be seen in the future attending council meetings.
Mayor Elect Williams, an ordained minister, offered the prayer in which he acknowledged that “Simply trying to serve you, pleases you, even though we fall short.”
Council holds an organizational special meeting Jan. 7 at 7:30 p.m. for the election of chairperson and vice chairperson.