- RECALLS THIS WEEK: Graco Strollers, Fire Alarm Control Panels, and Other Product Recalls
- OP-ED: Inadequate response to Ebola should not be repeated with Chickungunya
- Four People Arrested following Seizure of Heroin, Cash
- Marshall University internal medicine resident team wins state competition
- MILITARY-INDUSTRIAL COMPLEX: Defense Dept. Contracts for Nov. 20, 2014
- Healing Place Benefit features Dog the Bounty Hunter and Beth
- BOOK REVIEW: 'Escaping Condo Jail': Comprehensive Book Explores Pitfalls of Condominium, Home Owner Association Real Estate with Research, Wit
- Rep.-elect Jenkins selected for Appropriations Committee
- Southwest Ohio Violent Crimes Task Force Successful in First Year of Operation
- Jewel City JAMboree to feature national and local musicians
New Council Members Sworn In, Charter Amendment Moves Forward
Brandi Jacobs-Jones, director of finance and administration, filled in for Mayor Kim Wolfe, who did not attend.
The body heard first reading of an ordinance that amends the city charter to add “Christmas Eve” to the listing of legal holidays, specifying that the meeting would be on Wednesday, Dec. 26.
Council voted unanimously to approve the lease/purchase of three pieces of paving equipment for the public works department, to keep the mayor and council’s salary fixed at present level for the next four years, and a budget revision to reflect a $30,000 payout.
Among members speaking during the Good and Welfare portion, vice chairperson Sandra Clements declared herself to be the happiest member on council. She thanked Mayor Wolfe , his administration and council for the demolition , removal of eyesores and keeping the A.D. Lewis Pool open.
Thacker referred to the departing members as almost “family” and expressed hope that their faces would be seen in the future attending council meetings.
Mayor Elect Williams, an ordained minister, offered the prayer in which he acknowledged that “Simply trying to serve you, pleases you, even though we fall short.”
Council holds an organizational special meeting Jan. 7 at 7:30 p.m. for the election of chairperson and vice chairperson.