- Marshall Accepts Bid to 2013 Military Bowl Presented by Northrop Grumman
- Marshall Falls to Rice in Conference USA Football Championship
- University of Maryland Accepts Bid To The 2013 Military Bowl Presented by Northrop Grumman
- Guest Column
- Ellen Wilson First Spouse Gold Coin Available December 9
- MILITARY-INDUSTRIAL COMPLEX: Defense Dept. Contracts for Dec. 6, 2013
- FLASHBACK: Transcripts Reveal Technetium, Neptunium and Plutonium at Huntington Pilot Plant Concern Over Parking Lot Radiation Expressed
- BOOK REVIEW: 'The Eternal Wonder': Pearl Buck's Last Novel Manuscript Discovered in Texas Storage Unit
- EDITORIAL: Hypocritical Harry Gives Obamacare Another Surprise Blow
- BOOK REVIEW: Part 4 of Review of David Stockman's 'The Great Deformation': Social Security, Glass-Steagall, 'Hayseed Coalition', Subprime Crony Capitalism
New Council Members Sworn In, Charter Amendment Moves Forward
Brandi Jacobs-Jones, director of finance and administration, filled in for Mayor Kim Wolfe, who did not attend.
The body heard first reading of an ordinance that amends the city charter to add “Christmas Eve” to the listing of legal holidays, specifying that the meeting would be on Wednesday, Dec. 26.
Council voted unanimously to approve the lease/purchase of three pieces of paving equipment for the public works department, to keep the mayor and council’s salary fixed at present level for the next four years, and a budget revision to reflect a $30,000 payout.
Among members speaking during the Good and Welfare portion, vice chairperson Sandra Clements declared herself to be the happiest member on council. She thanked Mayor Wolfe , his administration and council for the demolition , removal of eyesores and keeping the A.D. Lewis Pool open.
Thacker referred to the departing members as almost “family” and expressed hope that their faces would be seen in the future attending council meetings.
Mayor Elect Williams, an ordained minister, offered the prayer in which he acknowledged that “Simply trying to serve you, pleases you, even though we fall short.”
Council holds an organizational special meeting Jan. 7 at 7:30 p.m. for the election of chairperson and vice chairperson.