- Predominately Filmed in WV "American West" Starts June 11 on AMC
- Manchin, Klobuchar, Shaheen, King, Heitkamp, Baldwin Introduce Budgeting for Opioid Addiction Treatment Act
- Detroit heroin dealer pleads guilty to Federal drug crime
- Cannabis To Be Planted Legally in WV For The 1st time In 70 years
- Carol Polan Likely Replacement Candidate for Husband
- Virginia Commonwealth University to explore yoga’s effect on pregnancy depression
- Huntington Council Hears First Reading on Planned Duplex
- State Film Office to Host Workforce Training Master Class June 25-26
- Attorney General Morrisey to EPA: Halt Federal Spending on Clean Power Plan
- Tamarack to host Appalachian Music & Arts Festival
New Council Members Sworn In, Charter Amendment Moves Forward
Brandi Jacobs-Jones, director of finance and administration, filled in for Mayor Kim Wolfe, who did not attend.
The body heard first reading of an ordinance that amends the city charter to add “Christmas Eve” to the listing of legal holidays, specifying that the meeting would be on Wednesday, Dec. 26.
Council voted unanimously to approve the lease/purchase of three pieces of paving equipment for the public works department, to keep the mayor and council’s salary fixed at present level for the next four years, and a budget revision to reflect a $30,000 payout.
Among members speaking during the Good and Welfare portion, vice chairperson Sandra Clements declared herself to be the happiest member on council. She thanked Mayor Wolfe , his administration and council for the demolition , removal of eyesores and keeping the A.D. Lewis Pool open.
Thacker referred to the departing members as almost “family” and expressed hope that their faces would be seen in the future attending council meetings.
Mayor Elect Williams, an ordained minister, offered the prayer in which he acknowledged that “Simply trying to serve you, pleases you, even though we fall short.”
Council holds an organizational special meeting Jan. 7 at 7:30 p.m. for the election of chairperson and vice chairperson.