- Huntington Police Make Eight Arrests for Drug Possession
- For Now City Hall Off Limits to Republican Mayoral Candidate in Huntington
- Hearing Monday for Mayoral Candidate in Magistrate Court
- ANALYSIS: Mayoral Candidate Claims Constitutional, Political Interference... or May God Strike Him with a Lightning Bolt
- Hot Humid Natsu 2016 Prepares for Fall Con IMAGES
- Mayor Williams Receives USCM Grant for West Edge Factory Solar Training
- How Can You Help Flood Recovery in WV?
- Huntington Police Report Burglary, Possession, Overdose
- Student to compete on NBC’s ‘American Ninja Warrior’ tonight
- West Virginia American Water Update on Water System Restoration in Flood-Impacted Areas
Hearing Set for January 28; Pipeline Safety: An On-the-Ground Look at Safeguarding the Public
“The Sissonville explosion shook West Virginia quite literally, and served as a stark reminder that pipeline safety is serious. And oversight is critically important,” Rockefeller said. “This will be the fourth Senate Commerce Committee hearing on this issue during my tenure as chairman, and it’s an important one to West Virginia – because we know how much worse things could have been in Sissonville. And West Virginians want to know everything is being done to prevent accidents – and disasters.”
Through the hearing, “Pipeline Safety: An On-the-Ground Look at Safeguarding the Public,” Rockefeller will review the Department of Transportation’s implementation of the Pipeline Safety, Regulatory Certainty, and Job Creation Act of 2011, which became law last January and was largely based on legislation he cosponsored and moved through Congress. This forum will also provide an opportunity to review the findings of a Government Accountability Office study about the ability of transmission pipeline facility operators to respond to a hazardous liquid or gas release. The study is expected on January 23.
“Passing comprehensive pipeline safety legislation was a good step, but I did push for even stronger provisions in that bill – and we must assess where implementation of that law stands, and whether future actions are needed.”
Additional details, including time, location and witness list are forthcoming.