- "American Sniper's" Breaks All January Records; Expect it to Wipe Out "Boy Next Door" and "Mortdecai"
- Calling all bird lovers! North Bend State Park’s Winter Wonder Weekend Jan. 16-18, 2015, is “For the Birds”
- Marshall Athletics Ticket Office Hours Announced
- PARALLEL UNIVERSE: Sending Money to Countries That Hate Us Makes No Sense at All
- BOOK REVIEW: 'Death Watch' : American Terrorist Goes to Extremes to Avenge a Wrong
- CARIBBEAN VIEW: Cutting loose the shackles of the past: Cuba and the US
- OP-ED: Do Wars Really Defend America’s Freedom?
- CARIBBEAN VIEW: 2015 Begins with Urgency to Save the Caribbean from Climate Change
- OP-ED: US Attends, then Defies Conference on Nuclear Weapons Effects & Abolition
- OP-ED: How About Another Christmas Truce?
DEVOTION: Sharing Goodness
When we purchase with ease the desires of our heart, we freely toss a few extra coins in visible benevolence.
If no personal sacrifice might be requested or involved, our support, concern, examination, acknowledgement can be generous.
"If I give everything I own to the poor and even go to the stake to be burned as a martyr, but I don't love, I've gotten nowhere. So, no matter what I say, what I believe, and what I do, I'm bankrupt without love.
Love never gives up.
Love cares more for others than for self.
Love doesn't want what it doesn't have.
Love doesn't strut,
Doesn't have a swelled head,
Doesn't force itself on others,
Isn't always “me first,”
Doesn't fly off the handle,
Doesn't keep score of the sins of others,
Doesn't revel when others grovel,
Takes pleasure in the flowering of truth,
Puts up with anything,
Trusts God always,
Always looks for the best,
Never looks back,
But keeps going to the end."
Forgive me, O God, when I expect others to exemplify love and I myself just clang around. Help me be more like the Master who was willing to be compassionate even when other's used their hands and hearts in unloving acts of disregard. Teach me the way to share goodness in the world around me. Melt my heart and open my hands to reach out in generosity and watchfulness. Spur my response to be reasonable and gracious even in the darkest of circumstances. When bombarded with words and actions that tear away our Shalom, mend our ways and strengthen our resolve to pour out compassion and trust in healing accord. I tend not to do the very things I want to do so it is only by God's love that we are enabled to become loving. Strip away our pride and empower us to receive God's unconditional love ... as it is the prerequisite of our becoming one authorized in sharing goodness.//