- A Natsu No Romp for Sailor Moon Crystal and Scouts IMAGES
- Keep Your Promises applauds Credit Suisse for identifying issue of Chemours’ understated liabilities and for demanding more disclosure
- Tornado Watch Continues until 9 p.m. for Cabell County
- Mayor Steve William's Office of Drug Control Policy Invited to White House
- Fracking Poses Threats to Public Health, Say Experts
- OPINION: Revolution's Matchstick: The Trans-Pacific Partnership
- Fire Destroys Parked Car IMAGES
- Pre Christmas Live Theatricals
- Forensic Science Center director addresses W.Va. prosecutors with information on advances in DNA technology
- Salt Storage Shed Now Open
Famed Charleston Filmmaker Passes Away
Bob was also an avid photographer and theatre lighting expert. And WV filmmaker Daniel Boyd tapped Bob's expertise as the Lighting Designer on one of Boyd's early feature films, "Invasion of the Space Preachers."
Bob was a founding member of the non-profit WV Filmmakers Guild, which was formed in 1978. He was its president for probably 25 years or more before turning the reins over to the next generation, but remained its president emeritus. He kept the Guild going in lean years and was a strong voice in supporting its mission of connecting filmmakers and others from around the state who shared the same goals of building a film industry in the state.
On January 9, 2010, the La Belle Theater in South Charleston, in conjunction with the South Charleston Public Library, honored Bob's illustrious filmmaking career with an "Evening with Robert Gates."
Some of Bob's more well-known films include "In Memory of the Land and People," "Building a Cello with Harold," Buffalo Creek Disaster," "Celebrating 40 Years – the WV Highlands Conservancy," "Morris Family Old Time Music Festival," "Mucked," "Communication from Weber," "Flood Stories," "Trip to Kayford Mountain," and many more.
Without question, Bob will be missed in the state's film community. Indeed, he was a force to be reckoned with. The staff at the West Virginia Film Office sends its prayers to Bob's family and friends.//