- Manchin, Klobuchar, Shaheen, King, Heitkamp, Baldwin Introduce Budgeting for Opioid Addiction Treatment Act
- Predominately Filmed in WV "American West" Starts June 11 on AMC
- Detroit heroin dealer pleads guilty to Federal drug crime
- Cannabis To Be Planted Legally in WV For The 1st time In 70 years
- Virginia Commonwealth University to explore yoga’s effect on pregnancy depression
- Carol Polan Likely Replacement Candidate for Husband
- Huntington Council Hears First Reading on Planned Duplex
- Tamarack to host Appalachian Music & Arts Festival
- Attorney General Morrisey to EPA: Halt Federal Spending on Clean Power Plan
- State Film Office to Host Workforce Training Master Class June 25-26
Marshall to Play at UAB Saturday at 3 p.m.
Friday, February 8, 2013 - 18:12 Special to HuntingtonNews.Net
Both teams enter the game with a 10-13 record. The Thundering Herd is 3-5 in Conference USA and is coming off a 91-75 loss at Tulane on Wednesday while the Blazers are 2-6 in the conference following a 70-63 win at Tulsa on Wednesday.
Junior forward Elijah Pittman leads the Herd in scoring with 15.1 points per game following a career-high 23 points against the Green Wave. DeAndre Kane (14.4 ppg) and D.D. Scarver (13.6 ppg) are also among the team leaders.
Saturday’s game will be a homecoming for Scarver, a native of Birmingham. The junior guard was an all-state performer at Jackson-Olin High School and is expected to have nearly 100 friends and family in attendance.
Scarver has been a scoring threat all season, especially from three-point range. He is just one of 10 NCAA Division I players in the country to make at least one three-pointer in every game this season.
UAB has won two of its last three games and is led in scoring by Jordan Swing and Rod Rucker, both averaging 13.8 points per game. The Blazers shoot 73.8 percent from the free throw line, the second-best in C-USA. Preston Purifoy (92.5 percent) and Swing (81.8 percent) rank 1st and 4th respectively as the top free throw shooters in the conference.
UAB leads the all-time series 11-6 including a 5-3 advantage in Birmingham. The Blazers won the last meeting, 56-49 last season in Huntington after the Herd nipped the Blazers 61-59 in Birmingham.
The game can be heard throughout the Thundering Herd/IMG Sports Network. It can be viewed and listened to online through HerdZone.com. Follow @HerdZone on twitter for live scoring updates and news about Marshall Athletics all season long. //