- BREAKING: Huntington Sanitary Board Considers Rate Increase Monday
- Saturday Tsubasacon Cosplay Contest and Skits
- COMMENTARY: Ghost Ship Tragedy Recalls Learrning the Meaning of Off Record Until....
- A Super Cosplaying Saturday Afternoon at Tsubasacon
- Friday Tsubasacon 2016 IMAGES Cosplay
- WVDNR News: 2016 West Virginia deer firearms season fact sheet
- Chesapeake, Ironton Advance in Huntington St. Joe Gold Bracket
- St. Joseph Invitational Basketball Tournament
- Rooster's Hostesses Dress for Princess Night with Mickey and Minnie Mouse IMAGES
- 'Real' Beasts Visit Marquee Pullman Celebrating "Fantastic Beasts" Reel Opening IMAGES
Marshall to Play at UAB Saturday at 3 p.m.
Friday, February 8, 2013 - 18:12 Special to HuntingtonNews.Net
Both teams enter the game with a 10-13 record. The Thundering Herd is 3-5 in Conference USA and is coming off a 91-75 loss at Tulane on Wednesday while the Blazers are 2-6 in the conference following a 70-63 win at Tulsa on Wednesday.
Junior forward Elijah Pittman leads the Herd in scoring with 15.1 points per game following a career-high 23 points against the Green Wave. DeAndre Kane (14.4 ppg) and D.D. Scarver (13.6 ppg) are also among the team leaders.
Saturday’s game will be a homecoming for Scarver, a native of Birmingham. The junior guard was an all-state performer at Jackson-Olin High School and is expected to have nearly 100 friends and family in attendance.
Scarver has been a scoring threat all season, especially from three-point range. He is just one of 10 NCAA Division I players in the country to make at least one three-pointer in every game this season.
UAB has won two of its last three games and is led in scoring by Jordan Swing and Rod Rucker, both averaging 13.8 points per game. The Blazers shoot 73.8 percent from the free throw line, the second-best in C-USA. Preston Purifoy (92.5 percent) and Swing (81.8 percent) rank 1st and 4th respectively as the top free throw shooters in the conference.
UAB leads the all-time series 11-6 including a 5-3 advantage in Birmingham. The Blazers won the last meeting, 56-49 last season in Huntington after the Herd nipped the Blazers 61-59 in Birmingham.
The game can be heard throughout the Thundering Herd/IMG Sports Network. It can be viewed and listened to online through HerdZone.com. Follow @HerdZone on twitter for live scoring updates and news about Marshall Athletics all season long. //