- Second What's Next Huntington Draws Crowd to HHS
- Led by Miami Duo, @HerdFB Wins Inaugural Boca Raton Bowl
- McConaughey Tweets "Long Way from 1971..."
- "American Sniper" Likely to Dominate Boxoffice Again
- OP-ED: How Prosecutors Think
- New Year's Day Hike at Ritter Park
- FINAL... Marshall 52, Northern Illinois 23
- YEAR-END SPORTS OP-ED: Sports Crazy (or Just Crazy About Things That Matter Very Little)
- Discover some of West Virginia’s state park lodges in January 2015 with a “WV50” $50 room rate
- OP-ED: How About Another Christmas Truce?
Herd, Cougars Meet Saturday Afternoon
The game will be televised on CSS and statewide on WCHS with David Saltzman and Tom Penders calling the action.
The Thundering Herd (12-16, 5-8 Conference USA) will have had a week between games, last taking the court on Saturday in a 52-48 loss to UAB. Marshall was successful in its last road game, an 82-70 win at UCF, but is just 1-9 in true road games this season.
Like most teams in the conference, the Cougars (15-11, 4-9 C-USA) have had much success at home, an 11-4 record at Hofheinz Pavilion. Houston is coming off a 63-53 loss at UTEP on Wednesday, its third consecutive defeat.
It will be a battle of the two best rebounding teams in the conference, both averaging 38.6 boards per game. Dennis Tinnon leads Marshall with 9.3 rebounds while Houston’s TaShawn Thomas is second in C-USA with 9.7 rebounds per game.
The Cougars are led in scoring by sophomore guard Joseph Young, who along with East Carolina’s Maurice Kemp is the conference co-leader in points with 17.8 points per game. Marshall is led by junior forward Elijah Pittman who leads all C-USA newcomers with 15.7 points per game. He has led the Herd in scoring in seven of its last eight games.
DeAndre Kane averages 14.4 points while D.D. Scarver is third on the team with 12.6 points per game. Kane also averages a league-leading 7.0 assists per game, the seventh-best mark in the NCAA.
Head coach Tom Herrion has never lost to Houston, 3-0 all-time. The Cougars lead the all-time series 5-4 with a 3-1 advantage in Houston.
Along with the telecast, the game can be heard on the radio throughout the Thundering Herd IMG Sports Network. It can be viewed and herd online with a paid subscription to Herd All-Access. Gametracker can be accessed through HerdZone.com. Follow @HerdZone on twitter for scoring updates in every game throughout the season.//