- Fracking Waste Chemicals Allegedly Found in WV Near Drinking Water Inputs
- BOOK REVIEW: 'Don't Make the Black Kids Angry': More Accounts of Violence in the Wake of 'White Girl Bleed a Lot'
- McConaughey Tweets "Long Way from 1971..."
- SHELLY'S WORLD: The One That Got Away
- CIVIL WAR OP-ED: Confederate Memorial Day in the South
- Mountwest’s Inland Waterways Academy changes name, not mission
- Stat Steps Defined Herd Basketball
- OP-ED: Lee Kuan-Yew’s Caribbean rescue in the Commonwealth
- CIVIL WAR OP-ED: Saint Patrick’s Day Tribute to General Patrick Cleburne—The Fighting Irishman
- BOOK NOTES: 'Beliefs Beyond Belief: Examining Improbable Ideas': Skepticism and its Role in Believing
Almost Paradise Free Prom for Ages 14 and Up March 29
"Almost Paradise" scheduled March 29 from 7-10 p.m. at the Big Sandy Superstore Arena hopes to attract young people and adults (14 and up), who did not attend their prom.
Organizer Angela Clay explained, "this is everyone's chance to find a babysitter, get dolled up and enjoy an elegant evening of fun and excitement for free." In addition, newly elected Mayor and first lady, Steve and Mary Williams will be guests of honor at the semi-formal/formal event. City council members and other representatives will attend too. Jack O'Shea will provide music.
Better late than never can have self esteem boosting benefits. Unable to attend social events in high school due to intense bullying whose scars followed into college, a part time return to college allowed an opportunity for a queen entrant to ask me for the honor of attending a Homecoming Dance (my first, where not smoking and not drinking were favored), where her intent was so strong she provided dance lessons in her dorm. Despite the age difference, we had a good time on the floating vessel --- and other first time so-called "rituals" for her and "second chance" opportunities for me.
Photography for Almost Paradise will be provided by Gotcha Photography. Photos will be taken 6-7 p.m. on the night of the event.