- OP-ED: Life Near the Mexican Border
- MILITARY-INDUSTRIAL COMPLEX: Defense Dept. Contracts for Mar. 10, 2014
- Hayes, Littlepage Honored for Contributions to 'Grass Roots' Huntington Art Walk
- CIVIL WAR OP-ED: A Southern Saint Patrick's Day Remembrance
- BOOK REVIEW: 'The Lady Who Cried Murder': Sixth Entry in Lauren Carr's Mac Faraday Mysteries Takes on Bullies, Corrupt Politicians, Reality Stars
- Moody's Raises Huntington Bond Rating
- Kyle Patton HPD Officer of the Year
- ON TV TONIGHT, Feb. 24, 2014: Investigation Discovery Explores Whether the Sun Has Set On the Exclusionary Practice of Sundown Towns in Modern-Day America
- Ginseng Harvest Returns as "Appalachian Outlaws"
- NAHB: Study Reveals Key Differences in Home Preferences Based on Race or Ethnicity
STEM educator to give keynote at Ivy Academy II
More than 85 area young women in grades 8-12 have registered to attend the conference, which focuses on leadership and self-esteem for girls.
The day’s activities will begin at 9a.m. with a university information fair, followed by interactive workshops. Adams’ keynote address will take place at the event luncheon, and the day’s events are expected to conclude by 1:30 p.m.
Adams is the department head and professor of engineering education at Virginia Tech University, and is also a motivational speaker/consultant for STEM education. She has worked with a number of colleges and universities, government agencies and nonprofit organizations on topics related to graduate education, mentoring, faculty development and diversifying STEM. Adams is an honor graduate of North Carolina A&T State University, where she earned her B.S. in Mechanical Engineering in 1988. In 1991, she was awarded the Master of Engineering degree in Systems Engineering from the University of Virginia. She received her Ph.D. in Interdisciplinary Engineering from TexasA&M University in 1998.
The Ivy Academy is sponsored by Fifth Third Bank, and will be hosted by Marshall University Multicultural Affairs in collaboration with Alpha Kappa Alpha Sorority Inc.