- Nuclear Accident in Illinois; Guards say Shelter in Place; Honeywell it all Stayed on Site
- OP-ED: Break-ups, Rejections and School Shootings: Educate Youth for Resiliency
- Conspiracy Alleged in Energy Worker Exposure at Hanford, Portsmouth
- Over the Highway and to the Trench Contaminated Huntington Materials Exposed Many
- MILITARY-INDUSTRIAL COMPLEX: Defense Dept. Contracts for Oct. 29, 2014
- New Gaming Arcade Business Opening in Downtown Huntington
- Huntington Man Arrested for Crack Cocaine Delivery
- A License to Steal, Kill, Cover Up and Do it All Over Again
- MILITARY-INDUSTRIAL COMPLEX: Defense Dept. Contracts for Oct. 28, 2014
- Precautionary Boil Water Advisory Issued for Customers in Barboursville – Advisory Revised to Include New Areas
STEM educator to give keynote at Ivy Academy II
More than 85 area young women in grades 8-12 have registered to attend the conference, which focuses on leadership and self-esteem for girls.
The day’s activities will begin at 9a.m. with a university information fair, followed by interactive workshops. Adams’ keynote address will take place at the event luncheon, and the day’s events are expected to conclude by 1:30 p.m.
Adams is the department head and professor of engineering education at Virginia Tech University, and is also a motivational speaker/consultant for STEM education. She has worked with a number of colleges and universities, government agencies and nonprofit organizations on topics related to graduate education, mentoring, faculty development and diversifying STEM. Adams is an honor graduate of North Carolina A&T State University, where she earned her B.S. in Mechanical Engineering in 1988. In 1991, she was awarded the Master of Engineering degree in Systems Engineering from the University of Virginia. She received her Ph.D. in Interdisciplinary Engineering from TexasA&M University in 1998.
The Ivy Academy is sponsored by Fifth Third Bank, and will be hosted by Marshall University Multicultural Affairs in collaboration with Alpha Kappa Alpha Sorority Inc.