- BOOK REVIEW: 'The Garner Files': Jim Rockford a Curmudgeon? Say It Ain't So!
- Former Employees Testified Radiation Hazards Near former Huntington Nuclear Weapons Plant
- Huntington Gets Ready to Regatta
- MILITARY-INDUSTRIAL COMPLEX: Defense Dept. Contracts for July 21, 2014
- Marshall Artists Series includes Icons from Jay Leno, Frankie Valli to Disney's Beauty and the Beast
- MILITARY-INDUSTRIAL COMPLEX: Defense Dept. Contracts for July 22, 2014
- Huntington’s Council Charter Committee Adds Recommendation to Lengthen Executive Search Time from 60 to 120 Days
- Marshall medical students provide treatment to more than a thousand Hondurans during international mission
- MOUNTAINEER CHALLENGE ACADEMY: Free Military School Better Option Than Dropping Out
- MILITARY-INDUSTRIAL COMPLEX: Defense Dept. Contracts for July 18, 2014
Multi-Decorated Bomb Technician to Receive Mortgage-Free Home
Serving in Explosive Ordinance Disposal (EOD), Burgess disarmed, neutralized or destroyed improvised explosive devices (IED's), mitigated Unexploded Ordinance and conducted routine route clearance patrols in support of U.S. Army Engineering. He received a Bronze Star for mitigating a very unsafe unexploded projectile while under enemy indirect and direct fire.
After having suffered multiple traumatic Injuries, he was released to the Naval Explosive Ordnance Disposal Technology Division in Indian Head, MD for working duty and medical care at Walter Reed Army Medical Center. Awarded Meritorious Service Medal from NAVEODTECHDIV for robotic tool development and EOD tool program oversight.
Burgess has received the following awards: Combat Action Badge, Bronze Star, Explosive Ordnance Disposal Badge(x2), Senior Explosive Ordnance Disposal Badge, Army Commendation Medal, Iraq Campaign Medal w/ 1 Campaign Star, Army Achievement Medal, Army Good Conduct Medal(2), National Defense Service Medal, Army Service Ribbon, Global War on Terrorism Expeditionary Medal, Global War on Terrorism Service Medal, Noncommissioned Officer Professional Development Ribbon.
He is currently attending Shepherd University and is active in both the Martinsburg and Charlestown American Legion posts.