- Saturday Tsubasacon Cosplay Contest and Skits
- A Super Cosplaying Saturday Afternoon at Tsubasacon
- Friday Tsubasacon 2016 IMAGES Cosplay
- Federal ACLU Suit Names Cabell County Clerk
- U.S. Attorney's Office and DEA announce collection sites for DEA's National Prescription Drug Take Back Day
- Rooster's Hostesses Dress for Princess Night with Mickey and Minnie Mouse IMAGES
- Fire Prevention Parade Packs Downtown; Elsa of WV Inspired Sing-a-Longs
- And the Cosplay Winners Were.... Envelopes Opened at Con IMAGES
- Nelson Mandela Metropolitan University Choir Cancels North American Tour including Nov. 17th date at the Keith-Albee
- 2,200 Attended Tsubasacon Which Wrapped Up Sunday IMAGES
Marshall Drops Two to C-USA Frontrunner UAB
This is the fourth consecutive season that the Blazers have taken two games from the Herd to start the series. The last time Marshall won a regular-season game against UAB was March 20, 2010 in a 3-2 contest. Today marked a new day, as the Herd lost in back-to-back shutouts against a conference opponent for the first time since joining C-USA in 2006.
Senior Jazmine Valle had a great offensive day. She had three at bats in both games, going 3-for-3 in game one and drawing two walks and a hit by pitch in game two.
Marshall had three errors on the day – two in game one and one in game two, while UAB played two defensively flawless games. The Herd left 15 runners on base in both games combined, and the Blazers stranded 13.
The Blazers got off to an early start after retiring the Herd in order to start game one. A leadoff single from UAB’s Caitlin Attifield (1-for-2) was followed by two consecutive outs, and a walk. With runners on base and two outs, an infield single allowed the advancing runner to score to give UAB a 1-0 lead.
Both teams held each other from scoring the rest of the game, while leaving a combined total of 15 runners stranded on base since the second inning – Marshall, 9, UAB, 6. Despite outhitting the Blazers 8-to-4 in game one, the Herd couldn’t find its way across the dish, losing by one, 1-0.
Game two was led off with two and a half scoreless innings, but the Blazers were the first to strike.
Amy Dennis’ single was the first of the game two for the Blazers and fired up the start to the third inning. Attifield’s sacrifice bunt moved Dennis to second and a Heather Pearson center-field single advanced Dennis to third. Whitney Fletcher earned the RBI with a right-side single that allowed Dennis to score, but junior Savanah Webster got the ball in on time to run down Pearson at home for the second out of the inning. UAB kept swinging and ripped another RBI-single to score again, but a ground ball to third base ended the two-run, four-hit inning.
The rest of game two was scoreless, and ended with UAB outhitting Marshall 6-to-4.
The final game of the series will be played on Sunday, April 28 at noon. The Herd will return to play at the “Dot” next weekend May 4-5 against conference foe UTEP, but will first play Morehead State on Wednesday, May 1 at Morehead, Ky.