- At Least 15 Shot at Cincinnati Nightclub; One Dead
- Suspect At Large Following Huntington Shooting
- Belle, Beast and Chorus Visit Marquee Pullman IMAGES
- Best Friends for Adoption at American Legion IMAGES
- Elsa from Frozen Made a Cameo Appearance Leading Huntington Parade, Visits Eastgate Mall Saturday in Cincy IMAGES
- Finance Committee to Discuss AFSCME Collective Bargaining Agreement
- Batman and Batgirl Visit Marquee Pullman with friends for "Lego Batman" debut
- Former Social Security Lawyer Indicated Judge Paid $10,000 a Month
- MILITARY-INDUSTRIAL COMPLEX: Defense Dept. Contracts for Aug. 1, 2012
- Marshall alum wins prestigious NASA award, credits university’s digital forensics program for his success
Marshall Drops Two to C-USA Frontrunner UAB
This is the fourth consecutive season that the Blazers have taken two games from the Herd to start the series. The last time Marshall won a regular-season game against UAB was March 20, 2010 in a 3-2 contest. Today marked a new day, as the Herd lost in back-to-back shutouts against a conference opponent for the first time since joining C-USA in 2006.
Senior Jazmine Valle had a great offensive day. She had three at bats in both games, going 3-for-3 in game one and drawing two walks and a hit by pitch in game two.
Marshall had three errors on the day – two in game one and one in game two, while UAB played two defensively flawless games. The Herd left 15 runners on base in both games combined, and the Blazers stranded 13.
The Blazers got off to an early start after retiring the Herd in order to start game one. A leadoff single from UAB’s Caitlin Attifield (1-for-2) was followed by two consecutive outs, and a walk. With runners on base and two outs, an infield single allowed the advancing runner to score to give UAB a 1-0 lead.
Both teams held each other from scoring the rest of the game, while leaving a combined total of 15 runners stranded on base since the second inning – Marshall, 9, UAB, 6. Despite outhitting the Blazers 8-to-4 in game one, the Herd couldn’t find its way across the dish, losing by one, 1-0.
Game two was led off with two and a half scoreless innings, but the Blazers were the first to strike.
Amy Dennis’ single was the first of the game two for the Blazers and fired up the start to the third inning. Attifield’s sacrifice bunt moved Dennis to second and a Heather Pearson center-field single advanced Dennis to third. Whitney Fletcher earned the RBI with a right-side single that allowed Dennis to score, but junior Savanah Webster got the ball in on time to run down Pearson at home for the second out of the inning. UAB kept swinging and ripped another RBI-single to score again, but a ground ball to third base ended the two-run, four-hit inning.
The rest of game two was scoreless, and ended with UAB outhitting Marshall 6-to-4.
The final game of the series will be played on Sunday, April 28 at noon. The Herd will return to play at the “Dot” next weekend May 4-5 against conference foe UTEP, but will first play Morehead State on Wednesday, May 1 at Morehead, Ky.