- Saturday Tsubasacon Cosplay Contest and Skits
- A Super Cosplaying Saturday Afternoon at Tsubasacon
- Wild Life Invading Fukushima from Radioactive Forest
- Elsa from Frozen Made a Cameo Appearance Leading Huntington Parade, Visits Eastgate Mall Saturday in Cincy IMAGES
- Marshall University researchers receive U.S. patent to treat one of world’s major health issues
- Mayor Williams Asks Rader be Appointed Fire Chief
- Huntington City Council Agenda Announced
- Creating a Better Connection Between Huntington and Downtown
- Batman and Batgirl Visit Marquee Pullman with friends for "Lego Batman" debut
- Spring International Film Festival at Keith Albee Performing Arts Center - March 2-5
APRIL IS NATIONAL POETRY MONTH: 'Facing the Wave': Gretel Ehrlich
To share the poem-a-day experience with friends, pass along this link >>
At Ishinomaki Where Matsuo Basho Once Wrote a Poem
Finally the twisted roadbed drains
and the daily floodtides at
Ishinomaki dry out.
The sky unmists itself and
loss upon loss begins to
feel like company.
Nothing touches. Nights are brittle and soft,
ink scraped smooth.
To the south Fukushima Daiichi blazes. Flames
we can't see. Sixty-six years ago
two other seacoast towns vanished.
I stick my forearm out
in moonlight. Looking seaward
my skin burns.
Abyss-San's Curry Recipe
Sauté cloves, bay leaves, fenugreek, chili peppers, cardamom,
curry leaf, and garlic in mustard oil.
Add sliced onion, turmeric, coriander, and cumin.
Add chopped potatoes and carrots, then tomatoes.
Rinse China beans and lentils, then add in with salt.
Add enough water to cover. Cover and cook for one hour or
more, or until beans are soft.
Make an equally large pot of rice with wheat berries.
Fry Aju hing seeds and add to the curry at the end. Serve.
Eat with gratitude.
More on this poem and author:
- Click to learn more about Gretel Ehrlich's Facing the Wave.
- Click here to browse other titles by Gretel Ehrlich.
- Visit our website or Tumblr to share this poem and peruse other poems, audio recordings, and broadsides in our Knopf Poem-a-Day series.
Excerpts from FACING THE WAVE © 2013 by Gretel Ehrlich. Excerpted by permission of Pantheon Books, a division of Random House, Inc., New York. All rights reserved. No part of this excerpt may be reproduced or reprinted without permission in writing from the publisher.