- BOOK REVIEW: 'Leaving Time': A Good Introduction to Jodi Picoult's Works If You've Never Read Her; Fulfills Expectations If You're a Fan
- Marshall Football Rises In National Rankings
- "Fury" Twists Through World War II Foot Soldier Carnage
- Bike license program offers security, vintage plates
- NAHB: Study Shows Substantial Regional Differences in New Single-Family Houses
- BREAKING ... At Least Two Arrests After 15 to 20 Armed Police Officers Raid 919 24th Street
- BREAKING ... Man Identified in Highlawn Shooting Death
- River to Jail Nets two Arrests Monday Evening
- Cato Breaks Record, No. 25 @HerdFB Cruises Past FIU 45-13
- Councilman Asks for Lawmarker Intervention after Detroit Fugitive Returns, Again Arrested in Huntington
APRIL IS NATIONAL POETRY MONTH: 'Facing the Wave': Gretel Ehrlich
To share the poem-a-day experience with friends, pass along this link >>
At Ishinomaki Where Matsuo Basho Once Wrote a Poem
Finally the twisted roadbed drains
and the daily floodtides at
Ishinomaki dry out.
The sky unmists itself and
loss upon loss begins to
feel like company.
Nothing touches. Nights are brittle and soft,
ink scraped smooth.
To the south Fukushima Daiichi blazes. Flames
we can't see. Sixty-six years ago
two other seacoast towns vanished.
I stick my forearm out
in moonlight. Looking seaward
my skin burns.
Abyss-San's Curry Recipe
Sauté cloves, bay leaves, fenugreek, chili peppers, cardamom,
curry leaf, and garlic in mustard oil.
Add sliced onion, turmeric, coriander, and cumin.
Add chopped potatoes and carrots, then tomatoes.
Rinse China beans and lentils, then add in with salt.
Add enough water to cover. Cover and cook for one hour or
more, or until beans are soft.
Make an equally large pot of rice with wheat berries.
Fry Aju hing seeds and add to the curry at the end. Serve.
Eat with gratitude.
More on this poem and author:
- Click to learn more about Gretel Ehrlich's Facing the Wave.
- Click here to browse other titles by Gretel Ehrlich.
- Visit our website or Tumblr to share this poem and peruse other poems, audio recordings, and broadsides in our Knopf Poem-a-Day series.
Excerpts from FACING THE WAVE © 2013 by Gretel Ehrlich. Excerpted by permission of Pantheon Books, a division of Random House, Inc., New York. All rights reserved. No part of this excerpt may be reproduced or reprinted without permission in writing from the publisher.