- "Hobbit" will Dominate Boxoffice; "Wild" & "Big Eyes" Slated for Debut
- Buckeye Elite National Basketball Showcase To Take Place in Huntington This Weekend
- OP-ED: Commemorate Universal Children’s Day: End Child Labor
- MILITARY-INDUSTRIAL COMPLEX: Defense Dept. Contracts for Dec. 19, 2014
- CARIBBEAN VIEW: Venezuela in financial difficulty, will Petro Caribe survive?
- Fans can wish Herd good luck with recorded video message
- Marshall Comes from Behind Defeats La. Tech
- OP-ED: Do Wars Really Defend America’s Freedom?
- Senator Rockefeller to Deliver Farewell Address Thursday on Floor of United States Senate
- MILITARY-INDUSTRIAL COMPLEX: Defense Dept. Contracts for Dec. 18, 2014
Senior Day Success
The senior class combined to go 4-for-13 with three RBIs and four runs scored. Jessica Ferrick delivered an RBI in the first inning before she scored a run of her own in the third. Jazmine Valle had a perfect afternoon, going 2-for-2 with a walk and an RBI, while Alysia Hively also brought a run home. On the base path, Ashley Gue (1-for-2) recorded four steals and scored three runs. In the circle, Andi Williamson struck out eight and only gave up one earned run in the game to earn her 28th victory of the season. On defense, senior Bri Anna Hope had two assists and three putouts.
Marshall came out of the gates charging with an immediate 3-0 lead, after keeping UTEP scoreless in the top of the first inning.
The Herd lineup stepped up to the plate and in order, connected for five back-to-back singles to bring freshman Kaelynn Greene (1-for-4 ), Gue and sophomore pinch runner Kristina Braxton across the dish, 3-0.
Marshall kept the momentum moving into the following inning as Valle hit a RBI-double to score her previously walked teammate on two outs, 4-0.
Williamson and the Marshall squad saw four of UTEP’s lineup consecutively through three innings. Williamson had at least one strikeout in each inning.
The Herd continued to score as freshman Raquel Escareno (1-for-3) smashed a two-run homer out of Dot Hicks Field on two outs in the third inning to push Marshall ahead, 6-0.
The Miners put one on the board in top of the fourth after loading the bases with only one out threatening them. UTEP scored after a lineout to Hope turned into a fielding error, when trying to catch an off-guard runner out at first, 6-1.
Once the third out was recorded in the top of the fourth, a UTEP error led off the bottom of the inning to put Greene on first. Greene stole her way home – stealing three bases in total. Gue followed Greene around the bases after reaching on a walk, stealing second and third and scoring on a throwing error by the Miners’ catcher, 8-1.
UTEP didn’t give up the fight, shrinking the deficit by one in the top of the fifth, 8-2, and threatened again in the top of the sixth after loading the bases on two outs. Williamson shut down the inning with her seventh strikeout in the game, but the Miners returned in the seventh and notched another run on two outs before Williamson rung up the final batter of the game.
After scoring in four consecutive innings, Marshall was retired in order in the last two innings of play.
Now that the regular season is over, Marshall will travel to Tulsa, Okla. for the Conference USA Championships beginning Thursday, May 9.