- Sixteen individuals, Mid-Ohio Valley Club to be honored at awards banquet
- MILITARY-INDUSTRIAL COMPLEX: Defense Dept. Contracts for Apr. 23, 2014
- BOOK REVIEW: 'How to Write Anything: When Laura Brown Says 'Anything', She Means 'Anything'
- FREDDIE MAC: Fixed Mortgage Rates Increase on Soft Housing Data
- BOOK REVIEW: 'The Opposite of Loneliness': Marina Keegan's Posthumous Collection of Essays, Stories
- CIVIL WAR OP-ED: Saturday, April 26 is Confederate Memorial Day
- ANALYSIS: Huntington Pilot Plant Oak Ridge-DOE Documents May Provide New Hope for Workers Denied Cold Standby Compensation
- More than 100,000 Had Symptoms During Elk River Water Spill
- PARALLEL UNIVERSE: Happy Birthday, Will Shakespeare; Words and Phrases You Created Will Live Forever
- City to unveil new small business initiative during news conference
Senior Day Success
The senior class combined to go 4-for-13 with three RBIs and four runs scored. Jessica Ferrick delivered an RBI in the first inning before she scored a run of her own in the third. Jazmine Valle had a perfect afternoon, going 2-for-2 with a walk and an RBI, while Alysia Hively also brought a run home. On the base path, Ashley Gue (1-for-2) recorded four steals and scored three runs. In the circle, Andi Williamson struck out eight and only gave up one earned run in the game to earn her 28th victory of the season. On defense, senior Bri Anna Hope had two assists and three putouts.
Marshall came out of the gates charging with an immediate 3-0 lead, after keeping UTEP scoreless in the top of the first inning.
The Herd lineup stepped up to the plate and in order, connected for five back-to-back singles to bring freshman Kaelynn Greene (1-for-4 ), Gue and sophomore pinch runner Kristina Braxton across the dish, 3-0.
Marshall kept the momentum moving into the following inning as Valle hit a RBI-double to score her previously walked teammate on two outs, 4-0.
Williamson and the Marshall squad saw four of UTEP’s lineup consecutively through three innings. Williamson had at least one strikeout in each inning.
The Herd continued to score as freshman Raquel Escareno (1-for-3) smashed a two-run homer out of Dot Hicks Field on two outs in the third inning to push Marshall ahead, 6-0.
The Miners put one on the board in top of the fourth after loading the bases with only one out threatening them. UTEP scored after a lineout to Hope turned into a fielding error, when trying to catch an off-guard runner out at first, 6-1.
Once the third out was recorded in the top of the fourth, a UTEP error led off the bottom of the inning to put Greene on first. Greene stole her way home – stealing three bases in total. Gue followed Greene around the bases after reaching on a walk, stealing second and third and scoring on a throwing error by the Miners’ catcher, 8-1.
UTEP didn’t give up the fight, shrinking the deficit by one in the top of the fifth, 8-2, and threatened again in the top of the sixth after loading the bases on two outs. Williamson shut down the inning with her seventh strikeout in the game, but the Miners returned in the seventh and notched another run on two outs before Williamson rung up the final batter of the game.
After scoring in four consecutive innings, Marshall was retired in order in the last two innings of play.
Now that the regular season is over, Marshall will travel to Tulsa, Okla. for the Conference USA Championships beginning Thursday, May 9.