- 'Chappie' Takes on 'Focus' for Top of the Box, Check for Showtimes
- McConaughey Tweets "Long Way from 1971..."
- Miss America 1989 Gretchen Carlson, Anchor of FOX News Channel's The Real Story with Gretchen Carlson, to Write Memoir
- Chuck Pagano, Andrew Luck, Dwayne Allen, David DeCastro, Diana DeGarmo, Ace Young, Dennis Haysbert, Miss America 2015 Kira Kazantsev Join USO Tour
- Ginseng Harvest Returns as "Appalachian Outlaws"
- PARALLEL UNIVERSE: Sending Money to Countries That Hate Us Makes No Sense at All
- Storm Warning Issued for Thursday
- CIVIL WAR OP-ED: Saint Patrick’s Day Tribute to General Patrick Cleburne—The Fighting Irishman
- CARIBBEAN VIEW: Cuba: Challenges and Chances for the Caribbean
- Mayor Williams Requests No Driving on City Roads
WEST LIBERTY: Elbin Scholar Program Grows, Thanks to Support from Donors Like AT&T
“We are pleased with the growth in our Elbin Scholar program as we continue to strive to be a great University. Private funding from corporations like AT&T will allow us to offer further resources to attract quality students and we thank AT&T for their generosity,” said President Robin C. Capehart.
- Cyrus is a rising junior from Columbiana, Ohio and majors in biology. Also an honors student, she is a member of the Biology Club. She plans to attend optometry school after she completes her undergraduate degree.
- Dillard is a rising junior from Craigsville, W.Va. and majors in biology (pre-med). He is an honors student and member of the Biology Club, Psychology Club and the Fight Club. After graduation he would like to explore the world.
- Kenney is a rising sophomore from Newport, Ohio and majors in biology (pre-pharmacy). An honors student, he is a member of the Biology Club and is active in church. After graduation he plans to attend pharmacy school and become a retail pharmacist close to his hometown.
- McGary is a rising junior from Flushing, Ohio and majors in finance. Also a student-athlete, he is on the Hilltopper baseball team and also finds time to be active in the Investment Club. After graduation he plans to pursue a master’s degree in finance and become a financial advisor.
Named in honor of Dr. Paul N. Elbin, president of West Liberty for 35 years, the Elbin Scholar designation is the highest scholar level at West Liberty. Despite the rigorous requirements, the Elbin program has grown significantly over the past 10 years, thus increasing the need for scholarship funding for this program.
In 2003, just five students were named Elbin Scholars. This year, WLU proudly claimed 74 Elbin Scholars.