- MILITARY-INDUSTRIAL COMPLEX: Defense Dept. Contracts for July 30, 2014
- Huntington Police Shoot, Kill Man at Third Avenue Bar
- BOOK REVIEW: 'The Garner Files': Jim Rockford a Curmudgeon? Say It Ain't So!
- Huntington Council Votes to Counter Rising Drug Crime by Hiring Ten New Police Officers at Special Session
- WV Attorney General Sues over Obamacare
- Huntington Ready to Regatta
- Huntington Police Make Drug Arrests
- Huntington Skateboard Park Exceeds Fund Raising Goals, Phase I Open by December 31
- CARIBBEAN VIEW: China Will Cast a Huge Shadow as Japan Meets CARICOM
- Former Booster Club Treasurer Indicted for Theft
Book Release Party: New book, 'Wiz of the West', launches at The Gallery on July 6
The author of the new book, S. Clayton Rhodes, will appear at the store to greet the public and sign copies of the volume during the activity.
According to Woodland Press, the Mountain State independent publisher of the title, The Wiz of the West is a charming and humorous alternate take on the classic Wizard of Oz story.
“You know the story and the movie”, Rhodes said this week. “But has anyone ever stopped to wonder what might have happened if that Kansas twister had brought Dorothy not to Oz, but to the Old West?”
The Wiz of the West, which has already received rave pre-release reviews, follows the adventures of Dotty and her friends the Scared Crow, Lionel and the tinhorn as they pit their wits against Hawknose Halley and her dog brigade and buzzards. Ozwald P. Harroway, the wonderful Wiz of the West, may be Dotty's only hope to return home. Along her dangerous quest, Dotty learns friendship is some pretty potent magic. She also finds there's no place like home, home on the range.
The book is being called a fresh and creative work, inspired by the classic novels of L. Frank Baum, and contains a variety of illustrations, as well. The author says it’s an ideal and fast-paced adventure for children, pre-teens, and young teens.
“We’re honored to be holding the official release event for this book right here”, said Randy Wilson, manager at The Gallery. “This is a very special occasion and we encourage readers of all ages to stop by and meet the author”.
S. Clayton Rhodes (often called Shelby) is the author of over fifteen in-print stories. His stories range from science fiction to adult horror, appearing in various anthologies and periodicals nationally. He lives with his daughter Rachael and three cats in Marietta, Ohio.
The Gallery is located next to JC Penney at the Grand Central Mall, Vienna, WV. For more information, call The Gallery at 304-428-4268; or see www.woodlandpress.com.