- MILITARY-INDUSTRIAL COMPLEX: Defense Dept. Contracts for Dec. 11, 2013
- Marshall Names Temple’s Chuck Heater as Defensive Coordinator
- Marshall University Board approves 10-year Master Plan
- Highlawn Baptist Church, Various Items to Sell at Auction
- DEA NEWS: Greek National Pleads Guilty in Narco-Terror Conspiracy
- Home Builders, Realtors Applaud Melvin Watt's Senate Confirmation as Director of Federal Housing Finance Agency (FHFA)
- Huntington Hires Communications Director
- Consumer Financial Protection Bureau Report: Few Consumers File Arbitration Cases
- OP-ED: Masculinity Question Still Missing Post Newtown
- 22 Year Old Driver Dies from Crash Injuries
2009 EPA Inspection of Special Metals Expressed Areas of Waste Concerns
•For the seven underground storage tanks, no information was found in files reviewed indicated a release from these tanks or any sampling activities relating to their removal.
There was a release of sulfuric acid in April 1994. The facility reported the spill to the National Response Center and neutralized the spill with soda ash; no confirmatory samples were collected. A second sulfuric acid release occurred in July 1990. Soil sampling was recommended in May 1994 but there is no evidence in the files that this sampling was ever completed.
•There was an area of black staining observed on the ground near the pre-treatment plant (one of the SWMU). The source or cause of this staining could not be determined during the 2009 RCRA site visit.
Pertaining to Solid Waste, the facility has several solid waste management units (SWMU). This includes a container storage, former baghouse dust storage, former nitric HF tank, waste holding, spent acid tank system, neutralization tank, former west tailing pond, three former lagoons, former landfill waste pile, hydraulic oil recycling unit, multi-hearth roasting furnace area, former barium chloride area, existing west tailing pond, dewatering filter press, reslurry tank, multi-hearth furnace, equalization tank, picking rinsewater pre-treatment plants, equalization tank, reaction tank, clarifier, three sludge dewatering tank, satellite accumulation areas, pre-treatment plant, former strip mill/current spent acid tank, former electro plating tanks, sludge holding tank, former temporary sludge holding tank, trash dumpsters, parts washer, equipment boneyard, and vacuum truck washer area