- EDITORIAL: Hypocritical Harry Gives Obamacare Another Surprise Blow
- FLASHBACK: Major Huntington Landfill Contaminants Could Relate to Solvents or to Cold War Activities at Uranium Processing Plant
- Richard Cordray, Director of the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau, Discusses Mortgage Rules at Consumer Federation of America Meeting
- University of Maryland Accepts Bid To The 2013 Military Bowl Presented by Northrop Grumman
- Guest Column
- Delegate Mike Folk stands up for 2nd Amendment Rights in West Virginia
- IMAGES: Huntington High School Honored by Council, Mayor Despite Loss
- Uranium Hexafluoride Truck Incident in 2009 Closed I-64; Incident in 2013 on I-81
- WSJ Wasteland Series Continues in Pennsylvania where Uranium Processing Site had "Birdcages"
- MILITARY-INDUSTRIAL COMPLEX: Defense Dept. Contracts for Dec. 6, 2013
Huntington Fire Chief Says Department Prepared for Radiation Emergency
Speaking to HNN while on vacation, Eastham explained, "We have 24 firefighters trained to Technician level. And the entire department is training to awareness and operations level. Should it get beyond the scope that we could control we have five additional teams we can call on from the state and that is before the federal government is even able to get boots on the ground."
Chief Eastham, who has been recognized for his bravery during the Emmons Junior Apartment fire, added, "The West Virginia regional Responce team has several suits which we house in a tractor trailer of various equipment. We can mitigate a radiation emergency and monitor its progress or lack of. We have everything necessary to assist with an emergency of this type ... Except a boat and that we are ordering shortly."
The boat, a grant for which was obtained from the federal government, has been approved for acquisition by Huntington City Council and the Williams administration.
The department's current boat is outdated and inadequate as demonstrated in prior stories published by HNN.
http://www.huntingtonnews.net/57971 Firefighting Boat on Wing and Prayer
http://www.huntingtonnews.net/70629 FEMA Grant Approved
http://www.huntingtonnews.net/64688 Council Approves Application
http://www.huntingtonnews.net/64497 . Safety Reminders for Recreational Vehicles