- Following Brief Eulogy to his Father, Huntington Mayor Told Council, "Let's Get to Work..."
- MILITARY-INDUSTRIAL COMPLEX: Defense Dept. Contracts for Dec. 11, 2013
- Marshall University Board approves 10-year Master Plan
- Prepared Remarks of Richard Cordray of CFPB on CareCredit Enforcement Action
- DEA NEWS: Greek National Pleads Guilty in Narco-Terror Conspiracy
- Highlawn Baptist Church, Various Items to Sell at Auction
- 22 Year Old Driver Dies from Crash Injuries
- Home Builders, Realtors Applaud Melvin Watt's Senate Confirmation as Director of Federal Housing Finance Agency (FHFA)
- CoreLogic: Record Low Number of Natural Hazard Events, Unusual Sinkhole Activity Spotlighted in Annual Natural Hazard Risk Summary and Analysis Highlighting Significant U.S. Natural Disasters in 2013
- Highlawn Pastor Posted Explanation on Facebook in October
Franklin D. Cleckley Presented WV Bar Association Lifetime Achievement Award During August Meeting
Paul Trefz, Vice President and Senior Regional Underwriter, First American Title Insurance Company;
Judge John P. Bailey, Chief US District Judge, Northern District of WV
Judge Joseph R. Goodwin, Chief US District Judge, Southern District of WV
Harvey D. Peyton, Peyton Law Firm, PLLC
Professor Forest J. “Jack” Bowman, Jackson Kelly PLLC Professor of Law Emeritus at WVU College of Law
Carte P. Goodwin, former US Senator
Lloyd G. Jackson, former WV State Senator
Erica M. Mani, CEO WV Red Cross;
David C. Hardesty, President Emeritus WV University, Professor of Law
David Kaczmarek, Sr. VP and Senior Compliance Officer, WesBanco Bank
James C. Gardill; Phillips, Gardill, Kaiser & Altmeyer, PLLC
Brian T. Gartley, Old Republic National Title Insurance Company
Judge David A. Faber, Senior District Judge, Southern District of WV;
Sharon O. Flannery, Steptoe & Johnson, PLLC
Rachael L. Cipoletti, WV Office of Disciplinary Counsel
During the meeting, the WVBA presented its prestigious Award of Merit for “…outstanding lifetime of distinguished service to the legal profession and/or the judiciary in West Virginia,” to Franklin D. Cleckley, Arthur B. Hodges Professor of Law at WVU College of Law.
Presentation of The WVBA’s highest award was made by The WVBA’s President, Patrick D. Deem, with assistance from Past Award of Merit recipients , Forest J. “Jack” Bowmen and John W. Fisher II, both of whom made introductory remarks about Prof. Cleckley.
Past recipients of the Award of Merit are Edward I. Eiland, John O. Kizer, Charles R. McElwee, Charles F. Bagley, Jr., Honorable Thomas B. Miller, John L. McClaugherty, Robert M. Steptoe, Sr., Honorable Robert E. Maxwell, G. Thomas Battle, Howard M. Persinger, Jr., Dean John W. Fisher II, Honorable John T. Copenhaver, Jr., Thomas E. Potter, James W. St Clair, Forest J. Bowman, and Hon. Irene M. Keeley.
The meeting culminated with James C. Gardill from Wheeling, WV with Phillips, Gardill, Kaiser & Altmeyer, PLLC being elected President of The WVBA; Alexander Macia from Charleston with Spilman Thomas & Battle, PLLC elected President-Elect; William J. Powell from Martinsburg, with Jackson Kelly PLLC; Joyce E. McConnell from Morgantown, Dean of the WVU College of Law; Richard E. Ford, Jr. from Lewisburg, WV, with The Ford Law Firm; Mary H. Sanders from Charleston, WV with Huddleston Bolen, LLP elected to the Executive Council. Lee A. Floyd from Charleston, WV with Jackson Kelly was elected President of the Young Lawyers Division
The following individuals will remain in their respective position on the Executive Council: James W. St Clair from Huntington, President of the Senior Lawyers Division; James A. Russell with Steptoe & Johnson PLLC, President of the Business Lawyers Divisions; R. Vance Golden III, from Parkersburg, with Golden & Amos, PLLC, President of the Real Estate Lawyers Division and Pryce M. Haynes II, Executive Director.