- Marshall Accepts Bid to 2013 Military Bowl Presented by Northrop Grumman
- MILITARY-INDUSTRIAL COMPLEX: Defense Dept. Contracts for Dec. 6, 2013
- Day Four: Johnson Returns To Head Table After Two-Year Absence
- Marshall Falls to Rice in Conference USA Football Championship
- Ellen Wilson First Spouse Gold Coin Available December 9
- NASCAR: Jimmie Johnson Celebrates Sixth Title With Eye On A Seventh
- FLASHBACK: Transcripts Reveal Technetium, Neptunium and Plutonium at Huntington Pilot Plant Concern Over Parking Lot Radiation Expressed
- Richard Cordray, Director of the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau, Discusses Mortgage Rules at Consumer Federation of America Meeting
- BOOK REVIEW: 'The Devil's Son': WV Native's Novel Focuses on Cap Hatfield, Who Ended the Famous Feud Between the Hatfields and McCoys
- WSJ Wasteland Series Continues in Pennsylvania where Uranium Processing Site had "Birdcages"
W.Va. Bar Association Holds Elections
Paul Trefz, Vice President and Senior Regional Underwriter, First American Title Insurance Company; Judge John P. Bailey, Chief US District Judge, Northern District of WV; Judge Joseph R. Goodwin, Chief US District Judge, Southern District of WV; Harvey D. Peyton, Peyton Law Firm, PLLC; Professor Forest J. “Jack” Bowman, Jackson Kelly PLLC Professor of Law Emeritus at WVU College of Law; Carte P. Goodwin, former US Senator; Lloyd G. Jackson, former WV State Senator; Erica M. Mani, CEO WV Red Cross; David C. Hardesty, President Emeritus WV University, Professor of Law; David Kaczmarek, Sr. VP and Senior Compliance Officer, WesBanco Bank; James C. Gardill; Phillips, Gardill, Kaiser & Altmeyer, PLLC; Brian T. Gartley, Old Republic National Title Insurance Companyl Judge David A. Faber, Senior District Judge, Southern District of WV; Sharon O. Flannery, Steptoe & Johnson, PLLC; Rachael L. Cipoletti, WV Office of Disciplinary Counsel.
During the meeting, The WVBA presented its prestigious Award of Merit for “outstanding lifetime of distinguished service to the legal profession and/or the judiciary in West Virginia”, to Franklin D. Cleckley, Arthur B. Hodges Professor of Law at WVU College of Law. Presentation of The WVBA’s highest award was made by The WVBA’s President, Patrick D. Deem, with assistance from Past Award of Merit recipients, Forest J. “Jack” Bowmen and John W. Fisher II, both of whom made introductory remarks about Prof. Cleckley.
Past recipients of the Award of Merit are Edward I. Eiland, John O. Kizer, Charles R. McElwee, Charles F. Bagley, Jr., Honorable Thomas B. Miller, John L. McClaugherty, Robert M. Steptoe, Sr., Honorable Robert E. Maxwell, G. Thomas Battle, Howard M. Persinger, Jr., Dean John W. Fisher II, Honorable John T. Copenhaver, Jr., Thomas E. Potter, James W. St Clair, Forest J. Bowman, Hon. Irene M. Keeley.
The meeting culminated with James C. Gardill from Wheeling, WV with Phillips, Gardill, Kaiser & Altmeyer, PLLC being elected President of The WVBA; Alexander Macia from Charleston with Spilman Thomas & Battle, PLLC elected President-Elect; William J. Powell from Martinsburg, with Jackson Kelly PLLC; Joyce E. McConnell from Morgantown, Dean of the WVU College of Law; Richard E. Ford, Jr. from Lewisburg, WV, with The Ford Law Firm; Mary H. Sanders from Charleston, WV with Huddleston Bolen, LLP elected to the Executive Council. Lee A. Floyd from Charleston, WV with Jackson Kelly was elected President of the Young Lawyers Division.