- Marshall Accepts Bid to 2013 Military Bowl Presented by Northrop Grumman
- Marshall Falls to Rice in Conference USA Football Championship
- University of Maryland Accepts Bid To The 2013 Military Bowl Presented by Northrop Grumman
- Guest Column
- Ellen Wilson First Spouse Gold Coin Available December 9
- MILITARY-INDUSTRIAL COMPLEX: Defense Dept. Contracts for Dec. 6, 2013
- FLASHBACK: Transcripts Reveal Technetium, Neptunium and Plutonium at Huntington Pilot Plant Concern Over Parking Lot Radiation Expressed
- BOOK REVIEW: 'The Eternal Wonder': Pearl Buck's Last Novel Manuscript Discovered in Texas Storage Unit
- EDITORIAL: Hypocritical Harry Gives Obamacare Another Surprise Blow
- BOOK REVIEW: Part 4 of Review of David Stockman's 'The Great Deformation': Social Security, Glass-Steagall, 'Hayseed Coalition', Subprime Crony Capitalism
First Street Re-Zoning Petition Again Before Council
City Attorney Scott McClure told council members that despite the negative recommendation the body has the responsibility to “more it up or down.”
Council members have determined that a tour of the location should occur prior to the vote. The second reading Monday, September 23, will likely receive a motion to postpone.
When asked about public comment, chairman Mark Bates opined that “folks will likely want to speak” at the meeting. Depending upon the timing of the postponement motion, the speaking public will likely require a waiver of council rules to address council.
During the work session, none of the members expressed opposition to public discussion on Monday.
An additional second reading concerns rezoning property at 618-620 Fifth Avenue from R-5 to C-3 (Commercial Business District).
Two budget revisions are on the agenda, too. These relate to receiving more Coal Severance Tax funds than anticipated and transferring certain encumbered funds from the 2013 to the 2014 budget.
Chairman Mark Bates asked Deron Runyon, finance director, about the wrap for the previous fiscal year. Runyon indicated that Mayor Steve Williams will be making a presentation on the final numbers.