Marshall Erases Deficit to Draw with NKU

Special to HNN Provided by Herd Zone

HUNTINGTON, W.Va. – Looking to erase a one-goal deficit after surrendering a first-half score, the Marshall men’s soccer team did just that to record a 1-1 tie with Northern Kentucky in double-overtime on Sunday from Hoops Family Field at Veterans Memorial Soccer Complex.

With the draw, the Thundering Herd is now 2-4-2 on the season and Northern Kentucky sits at 3-2-3. Marshall has now recorded a point in each of its last three matches.

“It was a tough match,” coach Bob Gray said. “Northern Kentucky is the type of team that is very similar to what we will face in conference play. I was pleased with our overall performance as I believe this was our best performance of the year.”

The visitors struck first on a corner kick at the 21-minute mark. Mohammad Salhieh headed the ball past Herd keeper Danny Sellitti (Las Vegas) on a cross into the box that never touched the ground after it left the corner spot. The Norse goal was assisted by Ian O’Reilly and Brendan Murphy, and put NKU ahead 1-0.

Making his first career collegiate start, redshirt freshman Ian Lovern (Bluefield, W.Va.) recorded 101 minutes in the 110 minute match. Lovern led offensive attacks for Marshall throughout the first half, recording three shots, two of which were on goal.

Despite trailing 1-0 at halftime, the Herd led 7-2 in shots to show for the control of possession and pressing offense it put on the Norse through the first 45 minutes of play.

Marshall continued to pressure Northern Kentucky on both sides of the ball in a physical match that saw a combined 33 fouls, 19 of which were committed by the Norse.

With just over ten minutes remaining in regulation, the offensive push paid off for the Herd as a cross from junior Jahvon Alllison (Kingston, Jamaica) was headed home by sophomore Nick Edginton (Wellington, New Zealand) in the 78th minute to tie the game at one goal apiece.

Playing for the win, Marshall was in pursuit of a game-winning goal as the 90 minutes of regulation concluded and the teams prepared for golden-goal style overtime.

In the first 10-minute overtime period, Northern Kentucky looked to end the game with a score, but the Marshall back line which consisted of senior co-captain Travis Brent (Virginia Beach, Va.) and freshman James Campbell (Greenville, S.C) would not allow the Norse to do so.

The Herd also looked for a goal to avoid the draw, but were unable to convert scoring opportunities before the final whistle blew with the game ending in a 1-1 tie. Marshall finished the match with more corner kicks (8-2), shots (10-6) and shots on goal (4-2) than NKU.

“For the most part we dominated the first half and had the ball in their half of the field a lot,” said Gray “We had a couple of really good chances and their goal keeper came up big for them. They scored a goal early which was a little disheartening, but to our credit we battled back to get the equalizer. We tried to get the game-winner on a few good chances, but it just wasn’t meant to be.”

With Sunday’s contest having served as the eighth all-time meeting between the two programs, the draw allows Marshall to keep serve of the series which now sits a 4-3-1.

“This team is young so they have to learn how to win games and right now we have to find a way to score some goals because you can’t win games without scoring goals, but we are going to get better,” said Gray.

Marshall will now shift its focus to its final non-conference game which will be played against Bowling Green on Friday, Sept. 27 at 5:00 p.m. at Veterans Memorial Soccer Complex.

In-game Twitter updates (@HerdMSoccer), results and a recap from the day’s action will be available at