- World in Danger: The Fukushima California Connection
- Forensic Science Graduate Program ranks number one in the nation on national assessment test scores
- Hot Humid Natsu 2016 Prepares for Fall Con IMAGES
- Rooster's Hosts Princess Night with Mickey and Minnie Mouse IMAGES
- Temporary Restraining Order Issued Against Mobile Home Mover Accused of Deceiving Consumers
- Marshall University School of Medicine announces new chair of neurology
- Spook Hunters Visit Pullman Square Marquee Cinema IMAGES
- Huntington Police Make Robbery Arrest, Respond to Burglary Reports
- Former Logan County gun shop employee sentenced to prison for Federal firearms charge
- Nostalgic Images of Ten Forgotten Huntington Venues
Application Period is Open for U.S. Service Academies
Each year, college-age West Virginians have the opportunity to apply to one of the five U.S. Service Academies in our Nation: the Military Academy at West Point, New York; the Naval Academy at Annapolis, Maryland; the Air Force Academy at Colorado Springs, Colorado; the Merchant Marine Academy at Kings Point, New York; and the Coast Guard Academy at New London, Connecticut.
These institutions provide American students with a tuition-free, four-year undergraduate education and prepare them to be officers of five of the seven U.S. uniformed services. Upon graduation, service academy graduates are commissioned as officers in the active or reserve components of the military or the merchant marine for a minimum of five years.
It is a great honor for our young people to attend and represent our State at one of the U.S. Service Academies, and to be asked to participate in the very difficult but rewarding process of developing their academic and leadership skills so that they can become future leaders in the U.S. armed forces.
As a Member of Congress, I have the privilege of nominating a limited number of West Virginians to attend the service academies.
Such students must be a U.S. citizen between the ages of 17 and 23 (as of July 1), and a resident of the Third Congressional District in West Virginia. In addition, I look for qualities such as academic achievement, leadership in athletics, extra-curricular activities, and community service, and outstanding character.
If nominated, applicants will be placed among a select group of candidates, although each academy will make the final decision. As well, candidates must be able to meet the medical, physical, and academic requirements of the Academy listed on its website.
The deadline for requesting a nomination is November 1 but candidates should begin their application process to the academies much earlier in the latter part of their junior year of high school. Deadlines and requirements vary by academy but each is a lengthy process that involves taking medical exams and meeting fitness requirements, as well as collecting and submitting the appropriate academic test scores and biographical material.
You can be nominated to multiple academies and it is also possible to win multiple appointments.