- OP ED What Do Americans Think About Economic Inequality?
- Oakwood Road Band's Oldies Sets Pullman Rockin'
- Southside Celebrates the Fourth at Parade IMAGES
- Strolling Through Central City Days Saturday Celebration IMAGES
- 2015 Dawg Dazzle Aims to Electrify Huntington's Riverfront
- Mayor Williams, Rep. Jenkins Join Christ Temple Freedom Celebration IMAGES
- Jamming at Jewel City Jamboree
- Jewel City Jamming will Continue Next Year
- A Natsu No Romp for Sailor Moon Crystal and Scouts IMAGES
- Firefighters Battle Flames on Johnstown Road
Shooting Victims Names Released, Victims Uncooperative, Information Sought on Shooting
Responding units quickly determined other persons injured by gunfire had fled the scene in Northcott Court to 1117 Hal Greer Blvd, the Huntington Mart Gas and Convenience Store.
Subsequent investigation determined that six (6) people had been shot during some type of altercation among a group of people loitering in the courtyard area adjacent to the Northcott Court Community Center. One of the victims collapsed on the porch of Unit 31, while others fled on foot to the Huntington Mart. Store video showed the victims entering the store, moving around the grocery and bathroom area, as well as walking outside to the back of the store.
EMS transported the victim from Unit 31 to St. Mary’s Hospital for treatment. The remaining victims were transported by other known associates to Cabell Huntington Hospital. All six victims suffered non-life threatening injuries to their lower extremities.
Further investigation at the scene resulted in the seizure of a number of spent shell casings and the recovery of two (2) firearms. One firearm was found at the Northcott scene and the other firearm was recovered behind the Huntington Mart.
A trace of the seized firearms concluded that both guns were stolen. Officers also recovered a significant quantity of crack cocaine from the bathroom inside the store.
The victims have been identified as:
1. Jamal R. Tubbs, B/M, 21 years old from Huntington
2. Andre Maurice Branch, B/M, 36 years old from Huntington
3. Semaj Markes Leondre Figg, B/M, 22 years old from Huntington
4. Dwight McVernon Green, B/M, 23 years old from Huntington
5. Jayron Antonio Washington, B/M, 19 years old from Huntington
6. Maurice LaVelle Miller, Jr., B/M, 23 years old from Columbus, OH
None of the victims are residents of the Northcott Court Housing Complex.
Jamal R. Tubbs and Andre Maurice Branch remain hospitalized with a non-life threatening gunshot wounds. All other victims were treated and released.
None of the six (6) victims have provided detectives with information identifying a motive of the shooting. The victims also share an inability to recall pertinent details regarding suspect(s) which could assist in the investigation.
Chief Holbrook stated, “The uncooperative posture taken by the shooting victims in this investigation is disappointing and regretful. However, considering the fact that they each have had various and sometimes numerous encounters with law enforcement, it is not surprising.”
Despite the lack of cooperation, the Huntington Police Department will continue to vigorously investigate this matter. Detectives are currently reviewing video footage and canvassing the area for additional information and evidence. As always, we encourage anyone with information to contact the HPD tipline at 304-696-4444.