- Saturday Tsubasacon Cosplay Contest and Skits
- Marshall to be home of Ellis Marsalis International Jazz Piano Competition, Festival
- A Super Cosplaying Saturday Afternoon at Tsubasacon
- Friday Tsubasacon 2016 IMAGES Cosplay
- McDonie family establishes Marshall School of Medicine Scholarship
- Two Possession Arrests, Two Warrants Executed by Huntinton Police
- LOCATION CHANGE: Inaugural Private Party Planned for Schlotzsky's
- Huntington Police Net Eleven Individual Arrests Jan. 13 & Early Hours of Jan. 14
- Fire Prevention Parade Packs Downtown; FAREWELL Elsa of WV Inspired Sing-a-Longs
- Rooster's Hostesses Dress for Princess Night with Mickey and Minnie Mouse IMAGES
Huntington Alloys Discharged Potentially Explosive Cat Fish Toxic Liquid from Pickle House in March 2013
Documents and e-mails obtained suggest that the reddish material remained in the Huntington Sanitary Board Waste Treatment pump station and/or facilities and did not flow into other waters.
Described as Potassium Permanganate, an “unknown” amount overflowed from the process tank into the West Pickle House basement, the certified letter received March 21, 2013 stated. “Due to the volume overflowed it caused a substantial amount of the rinse water in the system to turn a ‘reddish’ color.”
The letter from Bowen continues, “During normal operations the material does enter the wastewater system in small quantities and is treated within our permitted limits. The facility does not believe that any permit limits were exceeded.”
On September 1, 2013 the Herald Dispatch published a story detailing a Draft Consent Order for various waste water violations at Huntington Alloys issued by HSB, including a reference to the Pickle Plant.
According to a Center for Disease Control chemical safety card, potassium Permanganate decomposes on heating producing toxic gases and irritating fumes and can cause fire and explosion hazards particularly if it comes into contact with powdered metals.
Depending upon amount and concentration, the substance can be can be absorbed into the body by inhalation of dust and by ingestion. Short term exposure may cause delayed lung oedema for which medical monitoring is necessary. Long term or repeated exposures effects the lungs resulting in bronchitis and pneumonia. A material safety data sheet states that the chemical can damage eye tissue on contact, can at room temperature irritate (or in high temperatures damage the skin)
Bowen stated that “corrective action is currently being undertaken” to reduce the possibility of another spill. “Cold Draw Department Supervision is in the process of implementing a kicking procedure for the fill valve on the potassium Permanganate tank. The procedure will require the fill valve to be locked in place when not being used. In order to fill the tank , the operator will go to supervision and check out a key for the lock on the valve. This will increase accountability and greatly reduce the potential for overflow.”
Stressing the HSB's concern with public health, a cleaner city and working together, Lou Akers, interim executive director, told HNN Monday, Sept. 23, said, he did not believe "brushing under the carpet" was the proper procedure. "The more we find out the better things are," Akers said.
- NIOSH REPORT ON CHEMICAL (133.91 KB)