- FLASHBACK IMAGE COLLECTION: The Making of We Are Marshall In Huntington
- Huntington Christmas Parade
- Dungeon Dwellers Hosts Halloween Comicfest IMAGES
- Man Dead in Westmorland House Fire
- Veterans Day Celebration 2015 IMAGES
- Nostalgic Images of Ten Forgotten Huntington Venues
- Pinnacle 12 Premieres Marquee Extreme Viewer Experience Honoring McCall Legacy IMAGES
- Huntington's A D Lewis Center Hosts Pre Thanksgiving Dinner IMAGES
- West Virginia joins America’s State Parks in challenge to “#OptOutside” beginning Black Friday
- Queen Elsa Appears Saturday
Second 'We Are ... Family Unity Walk Celebration' is Oct. 1 at Marshall University
More than 1,100 students, representing 44 university student organizations, athletic teams, resident halls, fraternities, sororities and others, took part in last year's first event, and even a much greater number of students and "teams" are expected this year. But, there are some changes in the logistics of the event.
Rather than a celebratory walk just a short distance to the Memorial Student Center plaza, this year's walk, with an anticipated attendance of more than 1,500 students and alumni, begins at the Marshall Recreation Center at 6 p.m. "The Unity Walk" will be enhanced by group banners, cheers, chants and music.
Upon arrival at the plaza, festive music will continue, followed by group introductions, and short motivational remarks by President Stephen J. Kopp and women's basketball Coach Matthew Daniel. The event will conclude with a We Are the World Choral number and announcement of the 2013 homecoming court, another change from recent years. Free food and music at the plaza await those who participate in the Unity Walk.
"Last year we celebrated as a family for the first time in this manner," said Maurice Cooley, director of the Center for African American Students and creator of this event that is now slated as an annual affair. "This year, we have raised our excitement level throughout campus as we look forward to celebrating once again. We are Marshall and we are one. We invite all Marshall University students, staff, faculty and alumni, along with the Marshall community, to come and enjoy this most festive walk with us as we again demonstrate our loyalty, unity, inclusiveness and oneness."
All students, organizations, resident teams, athletic teams, fraternities and sororities are invited to take part. The Unity Walk is sponsored by the Student Resource Center, Student Affairs, Greek Affairs, MU Athletics, Housing and Residence Life, INTO, Alumni Affairs, and the Center for African American Students.
Participants also are invited to take part in a Unity Walk Banner Contest. To be considered, participants must march with their banners, which will be judged based on:
- Creativity: relationship to the homecoming theme (Mardi Gras Marshall Style)
- School spirit
- Organizational branding (What does your banner say about your group?)
Prizes will be awarded to the residence halls and organizations scoring the highest in the judging. Anyone with questions may contact Amy Lorenz at firstname.lastname@example.org.- See more at: http://muwww-new.marshall.edu/ucomm/university-communications-press-release-2/?pressid=3274#sthash.Cq98rknH.dpuf