- Ellen Wilson First Spouse Gold Coin Available December 9
- Richard Cordray, Director of the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau, Discusses Mortgage Rules at Consumer Federation of America Meeting
- Day Four: Johnson Returns To Head Table After Two-Year Absence
- MILITARY-INDUSTRIAL COMPLEX: Defense Dept. Contracts for Dec. 6, 2013
- NASCAR: Jimmie Johnson Celebrates Sixth Title With Eye On A Seventh
- Fan celebration planned before Marshall-WVU basketball game
- Day Three: Stewart Receives 2013 NMPA Myers Brothers Award
- UPDATED LINKS: Dangerous Hydrogen Fluoride Among Water Emissions Sent to Huntington Waste Treatment Plant According to EPA
- FLASHBACK: Transcripts Reveal Technetium, Neptunium and Plutonium at Huntington Pilot Plant Concern Over Parking Lot Radiation Expressed
- WORK SESSION: Council Holds Solemn Preparation, While Discussing Skatepark, Comprehensive Plan; Slkatepark Plans Now Added
'Big Pink Volleyball' tournament to benefit Path to the Cure
The event will benefit St. Mary's Path to the Cure, a foundation that is operated locally and raises money to prevent and treat breast cancer.
The tournament is similar to one played at Western Illinois University, which has raised nearly $100,000 and sparked breast cancer events at more than 15 colleges and universities across the United States.
Participants must form a group with at least four players and register prior to the tournament at the Recreation Center Welcome Desk, or at the Big Sandy Superstore Arena during the Path to the Cure race packet pick-up on Saturday, Sept. 28.
There also will be an opportunity to sign up on race day at the Rec Center tent. The cost to participate is $5 and must be paid by cash or check made payable to the Campus Rec Club. T-shirts also will be available for purchase for an additional $10 for short sleeves and $13 for long sleeves.
Four different categories of teams will compete. They are Student Clubs/Organizations, Residence Halls, Business-Corporate, and Independent. The last day for teams to sign up is Monday, Oct. 14.
"Marshall Rec Center is putting on this event to help bring awareness to breast cancer through a positive and active volleyball tournament," said Dan Belcher, event coordinator for the tournament. "The challenge of playing with such a large ball will also add to the fun!"
A captain's meeting is planned for Thursday, Oct. 17, at either 5 p.m. or 8 p.m. Attendance is mandatory for all team captains and the tournament schedule, including game times, will be given out at the meeting.
All proceeds raised will be given to Path to the Cure during halftime of Marshall's home football game against UAB on Nov. 9 . There are several sponsorship opportunities available including T-shirts and signage at the event. For more information, contact Michele Muth at email@example.com or 304-696-2943 or Belcher at firstname.lastname@example.org by Friday Oct. 11.