- EDITORIAL: Hypocritical Harry Gives Obamacare Another Surprise Blow
- FLASHBACK: Major Huntington Landfill Contaminants Could Relate to Solvents or to Cold War Activities at Uranium Processing Plant
- Richard Cordray, Director of the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau, Discusses Mortgage Rules at Consumer Federation of America Meeting
- University of Maryland Accepts Bid To The 2013 Military Bowl Presented by Northrop Grumman
- Guest Column
- Delegate Mike Folk stands up for 2nd Amendment Rights in West Virginia
- IMAGES: Huntington High School Honored by Council, Mayor Despite Loss
- Uranium Hexafluoride Truck Incident in 2009 Closed I-64; Incident in 2013 on I-81
- MILITARY-INDUSTRIAL COMPLEX: Defense Dept. Contracts for Dec. 6, 2013
- WSJ Wasteland Series Continues in Pennsylvania where Uranium Processing Site had "Birdcages"
LETTER TO EDITOR: Engineering Design Failure at Fukushima
Tuesday, October 15, 2013 - 17:08 Special to HuntingtonNews.Net
The power plant was to be designed for earthquake/tsunami resistance which included backup power to keep the cooling water flowing.
A diesel generator was selected to supply electric to cooling water pumps. Diesel generators are often used as emergency power backup, but require a warm-up before being put under load.
At Fukushima the generator was brought on-line, without warm-up, and the crankshaft broke. No power for the cooling water pumps and the resulting core meltdown, leaks, etc., a mess.
The stories are outlined here http://agreenroad.blogspot.com/2012/11/greg-palast-lies-and-fraud-behind.html
http://www.gregpalast.com/the-fukushima-story-you-didnt-hear-on-cnn/ And in Palast's book Vultures Picnic.
The upshot of Palast's revelation is that there are nuclear power plants in the United States with the same diesel backup, that would fail in the event of lose of external power.
Cores would melt with the radioactive plume of smoke/steam and radioactive core leaks. Fukushima is a warning to correct deficiencies in existing nuclear power plants in the US and insure future design/construction don't repeat Fukushima. Read Vultures Picnic.
Richard McCoy Huntington