- MILITARY-INDUSTRIAL COMPLEX: Defense Dept. Contracts for Sep. 16, 2014
- Five Detroit Men Arrested in Olive Street Drug Raid Following Bar Shooting
- MILITARY-INDUSTRIAL COMPLEX: Defense Dept. Contracts for Sep. 15, 2014
- CFPB Sues Online Payday Lender for Cash-Grab Scam; The Hydra Group Uses Phony Payday Loans to Illegally Access Consumer Bank Accounts
- Former Bank Vice President Made More than $1.4 Million in Bad Loans
- NAHB: Builder Confidence Hits Highest Level Since Nov. 2005
- Consumer Financial Protection Bureau Sues For-Profit Corinthian Colleges for Predatory Lending Scheme; Bureau Seeks More than $500 Million In Relief For Borrowers of Corinthian’s Private Student Loans
- Suspected Drug Dealer Released on Bond Before Police Leave Scene of Arrest
- MILITARY-INDUSTRIAL COMPLEX: Defense Dept. Contracts for Sep. 12, 2014
- Grand opening of Visual Arts Center slated for Sept. 18-19
CD REVIEW: Atlanta Symphony Orchestra Releases All-Sibelius Album Featuring Symphony No. 6 in D Minor, Symphony No. 7 in C Major and Tone Poem 'Tapiola'
The ASO Media label is one of the many legacies of Mr. Spano’s 13-year tenure with the Atlanta Symphony Orchestra, and the production team includes long-time Atlanta Symphony Orchestra collaborators Elaine Martone and Michael Bishop.
The Atlanta Symphony Orchestra released the first recording on ASO Media in February 2011. The premiere ASO Media recording featured Music Director Robert Spano leading the Orchestra in Jennifer Higdon’s new concerto, On A Wire, featuring eighth blackbird. Ms. Higdon is an Atlanta School of Composers member and Pulitzer Prize-winning composer. Michael Gandolfi’s new choral work, QED: Engaging Richard Feynman, featuring the Atlanta Symphony Orchestra Chorus was also featured. Both works were commissioned by the Atlanta Symphony and given world-premiere performances in June 2010 at Atlanta Symphony Hall.
Two additional ASO Media recordings with Mr. Spano and the Orchestra were released in 2011: the June 2011 release features the Atlanta Symphony’s commission of Atlanta School of Composers member Christopher Theofanidis’s Symphony and Peter Lieberson’s Neruda Songs; the October 2011release — an all-Rachmaninov recording — features Garrick Ohlsson playing Piano Concerto No. 3, and also includes Symphonic Dances.
The Atlanta Symphony Orchestra and its recordings have won 27 GRAMMY® Awards.
About the Atlanta Symphony Orchestra Music Director Robert Spano, currently in his 13th season as music director of the Atlanta Symphony
Orchestra, is recognized internationally as one of the most imaginative conductors today... (more)
The Atlanta Symphony Orchestra (ASO), currently in its 69th season, is one of America’s leading orchestras. It performs great music, presents leading artists, educates and engages music lovers. The ASO serves as the cornerstone for artistic development and music education in the southeast. It performs more than 200 concerts each year for a combined audience of more than a half million in a full schedule of performances. It also reaches more than 67,000 students and underserved members of the community through its education and community outreach programs... (more)
About Naxos of America
Headquartered in Franklin, Tennessee, a suburb of Nashville, Naxos of America is the #1 independent classical music distributor in the U.S. and Canada. Specializing in state-of-the-art distribution, marketing and promotion, Naxos of America distributes nearly 35,000 titles on CD and DVD to traditional brick and mortar retail, as well as offering a comprehensive suite of services tailored to consumer direct fulfillment. Naxos of America is also the largest digital distributor of independent classical music, supplying a catalog of over 30,000 albums to hundreds of digital download and mobile outlets worldwide. Naxos of America offers marketing, e-marketing, publicity, e-publicity, physical and digital e-commerce services, licensing opportunities, streaming services, sales and customer service for all new releases and active catalog titles of Naxos Records and more than 150 distributed labels.
Jean Sibelius: Symphony No. 6 in D minor, Symphony No. 7 in C Major, and Tapiola
Robert Spano Atlanta Symphony Orchestra
CD: ASO1004 US SRP $18.99