- Ohio Man Indicted in Scam Targeting Car Dealerships
- OP-ED: The $7 Million University President
- Music professors to perform on historical instruments during free performance
- MILITARY-INDUSTRIAL COMPLEX: Defense Dept. Contracts for Dec. 12, 2014
- OP-ED: US Attends, then Defies Conference on Nuclear Weapons Effects & Abolition
- Restructuring Cited for Public Works Director Dismissal
- Political Satire: Portsmouth Considering Marting Building for City Offices ... Again
- "The Interview" Will Open on Limited Screens Christmas Day; Park Place Stadium Schedules it Jan. 2
- New Year's Day Hike at Ritter Park
- Prestera Center to observe Overdose Prevention Awareness Day
Stormwater Start Up Fee Raises Council Concerns at Work Session
Essentially, the sewer and storm water underground pipes must be separated ; however, Congress did not provide a funding mechanism in the CWA putting the burden on municipalities to come up with financing.
At large councilman Gary Bunn ( a former city planner and city manager) stated that past council members and mayors “should be ashamed” for avoiding the issues. “It’s not our fault, but we might as well bite the bullet and attack it,” he said.
Mayor Steve Willliams explained that in 1948 Chester Engineering brought up the problem. 65 years later, the city stands confronted by a potential infrastructure expense juggernaut where the bill could go into hundreds of millions of dollars for separations and upgrades.
Bunn’s “kicking the can” reference may apply more to leery councils, than past mayors. David Felinton brought three proposals before council. Kim Wolfe’s administration named a storm sewer coordinator (and educator), but the proposal did not come before council as chairman Mark Bates and others believed the proposal was heavy on administration hires and lacked shovel ready tasks.
Despite tiered fees that for most residents range from $5 to $7 monthly, Williams admits the proposal is a “start up” project. It will not quickly fix Third Avenue, Fifth Avenue and viaduct flooding. His proposal would add $1.2 million to a transparent “enterprise” fund separated from general revenue collection. Uses of the monies would be displayed much like the “user fee” demonstrates where the $3 a week is spent for police department improvements and street paving.
Council members Pete Gillespie, Scott Caserta and Sandra Clements each had their separate but complementing concerns.
District Two’s Gillespie immediately suggested a deferral to the Storm Water Committee for more in depth examination of the proposal.
Vice chairperson Clements emphasized public input. Determined that initial input not wait until the pre-vote second reading, Clements asked for “a public comment night. Let them come in, and let us roll on[ afterwards].”
Councilman Scott Caserta went to the taxpayer bottom line, “What are you going to spend the money on?” He asked that the administration answer previously e-mailed questions prior to Monday night’s first reading.
Williams and Gillespie agreed that the public could “speak their mind” at the to be scheduled committee meeting. The mayor asked that the item come back to council from referral as a second reading. He acknowledged that should major changes be made, a third reading would be necessary.
What neither the mayor nor council chair Mark Bates liked was a ponderance by Gilespie that the matter be deferred until budget preparation, where members would try to whittle down some of the costs.
Williams said, “There’s not $1.2 million to move [from the general fund], adding, if you can find it, “I’m willing to roll up my sleeves and calculate.”
Bates downplayed that possible alternative. “The general fund has absorbed costs like never before. I think we have taken all the money [we can from it].”
The mayor reminded council members, “If we don’t do it, state and federal agencies will make the decisions for us.”
EPA last year fined the city but allowed a 90% reduction by agreeing that they do water mitigation projects.
The Williams administration has prepared an “FAQ” (frequently asked questions), which is available by clicking, http://www.huntingtonnews.net/78970
For a prior story on current council members touring the over-worked Waste Treatment Plant, click: http://www.huntingtonnews.net/55107 .PBS NEWS HOUR VIDEO OF CRISIS BENEATH THE STREETS (of Detroit), http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aQSHsuZrccM