- Sixteen individuals, Mid-Ohio Valley Club to be honored at awards banquet
- MILITARY-INDUSTRIAL COMPLEX: Defense Dept. Contracts for Apr. 23, 2014
- Marshall Men’s Basketball Hires Dan D’Antoni as Head Coach
- BOOK REVIEW: 'How to Write Anything: When Laura Brown Says 'Anything', She Means 'Anything'
- FREDDIE MAC: Fixed Mortgage Rates Increase on Soft Housing Data
- Professional Salaries Discussed During Huntington Council Work Session
- BOOK REVIEW: 'The Opposite of Loneliness': Marina Keegan's Posthumous Collection of Essays, Stories
- CIVIL WAR OP-ED: Saturday, April 26 is Confederate Memorial Day
- ANALYSIS: Huntington Pilot Plant Oak Ridge-DOE Documents May Provide New Hope for Workers Denied Cold Standby Compensation
- Green Day’s American Idiot to Invade the Keith Albee Performing Arts Center
Romero Named C-USA Women’s Basketball Freshman of the Week
The weekly awards are chosen by a select panel with members representing each of the 16 member schools.
This is Romero’s first Freshman of the Week honor, and is the first conference weekly award earned in coach Matt Daniel’s two seasons. Romero is the second Herd player ever to earn the honor, with the last being Shay Weaver who earned the award twice in 2012 (Feb. 20, March 2).
“I’m excited for Chelsey,” Daniel said. “She is continuing to grow both on and off the floor. As our young ones continue to grow, so will our program.”
The 6-1 forward helped lead Marshall (5-5, 0-0 C-USA) to back-to-back victories for the first time under Daniel, averaging 11.5 rebounds per game over the weekend. Against Wofford (Dec. 19), she scored 10 points, had nine rebounds and shot .417 from the field. She tied her career high with 14 boards versus Delaware State (Dec. 21) and matched her best performance of three blocks in both games.
As of games through Dec. 22, Romero is 95th of 222 players ranked in NCAA DI women’s basketball with 1.50 blocked shots per game. As a team, Marshall is 37th out of 343 teams ranked with 4.7 swats per game.
For the Herd’s past four games, Romero has stepped into the starting lineup to play for junior center Chukwuka Ezeigbo (Trenton, N.J.) who is out of the country with a family emergency.
The Herd is on holiday break and will return to the hardwood at Cam Henderson Center, Dec. 29, to host Navy at 2 p.m. For all the latest information about Marshall women’s basketball, follow @HerdWBB on Twitter.
2013-14 C-USA WOMEN'S BASKETBALL WEEKLY AWARDS
PLAYER OF THE WEEK
N11 | Jessica Kuster, Rice
N18 | Kayla Thornton, UTEP
N25 | Tamara Jones, Southern Miss
D2 | Ebony Rowe, Middle Tennessee
D9 | Shae Kelley, Old Dominion
D16 | Takia Brooks, Florida Atlantic & Tamara Jones, Southern Miss
D23 | Ebony Rowe, Middle Tennessee
FRESHMAN OF THE WEEK
N11 | Brittanny Dinkins, Southern Miss
N18 | Ashley Folsom, Southern Miss
N25 | Leslie Vorpahl, Tulane
D2 | JaQuan Jackson, Louisiana Tech
D9 | JaQuan Jackson, Louisiana Tech
D16 | J'Kyra Brown, East Carolina
D23 | Chelsey Romero, Marshall