Men’s Basketball Surges Past Presbyterian

Special to HNN Provided by Herd Zone

HUNTINGTON, W.Va. – As has been the story in numerous games this season, the Marshall men’s basketball team (6-9, 0-0 Conference USA) had an even scoring distribution, and on Sunday afternoon vs. Presbyterian College (4-11, 0-0 Big South), it helped the Thundering Herd to a, 77-49, victory at Cam Henderson Center.

Four members of the Herd scored in double figures, with freshman forward Ryan Taylor (Indianapolis, Ind.) leading the offensive charge with 18 points on 8-of-13 shooting to go along with 12 rebounds as he recorded his fourth career double-double. Junior forward Shawn Smith (Sacramento, Calif.) added 16, while sophomore forward TyQuane Goard (Charleston, W.Va.) and freshman guard Kareem Canty (Harlem, N.Y.) each recorded 11 points in starting roles.

Making his sixth-straight start and 10th of the season, sophomore guard DeVince Boykins (Forest City, N.C.) got off to a hot start against the Blue Hose as he hit two quick shots from beyond the arc, putting Marshall up 10-7 with 15:21 to play in the first half.

The game became a back and forth battle as both sides exchanged buckets with seven lead changes having occurred in the first nine minutes of play.

Up 29-28 at halftime, the Herd found itself in a game that was being played in the paint as 42 of the 57 first-half points scored came in the paint. Canty, Taylor and Boykins each had six points through the first half as seven Marshall players recorded a basket for an even scoring distribution in the first 20 minutes.

Marshall worked to pull away from Presbyterian in the second half and on back-to-back put back dunks from sophomore guard Chris Thomas (Denver) and Smith, the Henderson Center crowd was awoken as the Herd led 46-38 with 13:48 remaining in the contest.

Freshman sharp shooter Austin Loop (South Webster, Ohio) capped off an 18-5 run for Marshall as he converted on a three-point basket to put his squad up 60-43.

With the game nearly put away, Taylor started to take over as he scored 10 straight points for the Herd, putting them up 72-47 with 2:37 left. Once the clock ran out, Marshall collected a 77-49 win to head into C-USA play on a winning note.

Canty had a shaky start as he committed five turnovers in his first 11 minutes on the floor, but the C-USA Freshman of the Year hopeful settled down and did not commit another for his final 27 minutes on the floor. As a team, Marshall committed just two second half turnovers after having recorded nine in the first half.

The Herd was able to use its persistence to record 31 second chance points, to six from the Blue Hose as the Herd held a 22-2 advantage in that category in the second half. Marshall also made itself at home on the glass as it outrebounded Presbyterian 50-32.

The Herd will now head to Texas for a two-game trip to open C-USA play against UTSA (Jan. 9) and UTEP (Jan. 11).

In-game Twitter updates @HerdMBB, results and a recap from the night’s action will be available at

Comments powered by Disqus