- FLASHBACK IMAGE COLLECTION: The Making of We Are Marshall In Huntington
- UPDATED: Wal Mart Shots Not Terror Related
- Huntington Christmas Parade
- Veterans Day Celebration 2015 IMAGES
- RETRO: Huntington Christmas Parade IMAGES
- Nostalgic Images of Ten Forgotten Huntington Venues
- Council Approves KYOVA Grant Application
- Huntington's A D Lewis Center Hosts Pre Thanksgiving Dinner IMAGES
- Pinnacle 12 Premieres Marquee Extreme Viewer Experience Honoring McCall Legacy IMAGES
- Friends Helping Kids Have Christmas
Event to offer early tax preparation services
The Fifth Third Bank Financial Empowerment Mobile, or eBus, is traveling throughout Huntington to offer assistance in filing taxes and offering free credit report checks.
Fifth Third Bank’s Financial Empowerment Mobile is a free community service to the public. The bus is equipped with personal computers and satellite technology and is staffed by Fifth Third bankers and representatives from partner nonprofit, community organizations. On the bus, visitors can:
- Meet one-on-one with a banking expert
- Obtain a free credit report
- Speak with a representative from Consumer Credit Counseling
- Conduct online job searches
The event, also sponsored by the Financial $tability PartnershipTM of the River Cities’ Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) program, will kick off Jan. 22 from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. at the Huntington Housing Authority Johnston Centre (300 West 7th Ave. in Huntington). Other dates, times and locations include:
- Jan. 23: Mountwest Community and Technical College (1 Mountwest Way in Huntington) from
- 9 a.m. to 3 p.m.
- Jan. 24: Workforce WV (2699 Park Ave. in Huntington) from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m.
- Jan. 25: Goodwill Industries (1005 Virginia Ave. in Huntington) from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m.
Although the Internal Revenue Service has moved the tax season start date to Jan. 31, the IRS has allowed tax preparers to prepare returns early and submit them on Jan. 31. This will help people get to the top of the tax return list. In addition to taxes, Goodwill Consumer Credit Counseling will also pull credit reports.
Families with a household income below $52,000 are eligible for free tax preparation and may be eligible for an earned income tax credit of up to $6,143, even if no taxes are owed. You must bring: a photo I.D.; a social security card for you, your spouse and all dependents; all W2s, 1099 forms and any other tax information. There are no exceptions to these requirements.
Those interested in doing their own taxes are encouraged to visit www.myfreetaxes.com/uwrc. United Way Worldwide, Goodwill Industries and the National Institute for Disabilities are offering MyFreeTaxes to those who are just outside of the VITA guidelines. Individuals with an income of $58,000 and less can have FREE access to H&R Block’s tax-filing software for both state and federal returns, thanks to a grant from the Walmart Foundation.
For a full list of VITA site locations, dates and times, visit www.fsprivercities.org.
For more information, contact Ed Davis, Financial $tability PartnershipTM of the River Cities director, at 304-523-8929, ext. 103 or firstname.lastname@example.org.