- Two more defendants sentenced for roles in Detroit to Huntington heroin conspiracy
- FLASHBACK IMAGE COLLECTION: The Making of We Are Marshall In Huntington
- Huntington man sentenced on Federal oxycodone charge
- Many WV State Offices have Pre-Canadidacy Filings; Cabell Non-Partisan Judges too
- Veterans Day Celebration 2015 IMAGES
- Nostalgic Images of Ten Forgotten Huntington Venues
- Marshall Assistant Coach Charged with DUI
- UPDATED: Wal Mart Shots Not Terror Related
- Coffee with a Cop Returns Dec. 2
- COLUMN: STEM Success in the Mountain State
MU Winter Jazz Festival Thursday-Saturday
The Festival will begin the evening of January 30 with a performance by the Jazz Festival Honor Ensemble and performances by MU student combos, as well as by a special guest combo. Performances on Friday and Saturday nights will include the Marshall University Jazz Ensemble featuring Butch Miles, the Thundering Herd All- Star Ensemble, the Marshall University Jazz Alumni Big Band, the Marshall University Faculty Jazz Consortium, and performances by our guest clinicians and adjudicators. There will also be concerts and clinics during the day by the MU Jazz Ensemble and by various clinicians and MU faculty.
As we have done in the past, we ask for nominations from directors of students who should participate in the Thundering Herd All-Stars ensemble! This group is comprised of a select group of top jazz students from our region, and they will have the opportunity to work with a master jazz educator for a few days, culminating in a performance on the final Saturday evening concert. Directors, start thinking about any students that you feel could best represent your schools!
New this year, we will be offering clinics for educators! There may also be an option for continuing education credit to be given for attending these workshops. Topics will include strategies for strengthening the skills of your ensembles, thoughts about literature, warm-ups, and methods, and ideas about how to keep your students engaged in learning!
Also new this year, you will have a choice about what type of critique you would like to receive about your performance! Although the format of the festival has not changed, (it will still be non-competitive in nature) directors will have a choice about the feedback you would like to receive. You may elect to:
- Receive the standard comments without any rating
- Receive comments with a rating that only the director can view (in other words, how you may have been rated if this were competitive)
- Receive comments with a rating that the whole band can hear/see (adjudicators will speak to a possible rating in their voice comments as well as on paper)
We will also be awarding outstanding soloist awards and outstanding section awards at the end of each festival day in a brief ceremony before the evening concerts!