- Special Prosecutor Will Be Appointed in Cabell County Regarding State Police Investigation of Mayor's Sick Leave Payment to Skip Holbrook
- Q and A with Councilman Caserta: Mayor Needs to be Held Accountable, Independent Audit Necessary
- Bid Specifics Revealed in Huntington Street Sweeping Program
- UPDATED...State Auditor Citied Lack of Adequate Policies, Controls for Some Huntington Financial Materials, 2013 and 2014
- PARALLEL UNIVERSE: Lincoln Electric Celebrates 81 Uninterrupted Years of Paying Employee Profit-Sharing Bonus
- "My Brother, My Brother & Me" Sunday Night at City Hall Auditorium
- The ACLU of West Virginia Urges Governor Tomblin and Legislature to Enact Reforms to Keep Truant Children Out of Juvenile Court
- Donations Needed for Guyandotte Christmas Open House Planned Dec. 23
- 2014 Huntington Audit Has Statement Governing Sick Leave Payments
- WWE returning to Big Sandy Superstore Arena in 2015
Personal Injury Information That Every Victim Needs to Know
What Qualifies as a Personal Injury?
There are several injuries that may actually qualify for personal injury claims in which the victim may be entitled to seek compensation within the courts. This can include but is not limited to slips, trips and falls, automobile accidents and even dog bites, just to name a few of these things. Generally speaking, any event that has caused injury as a result of the carelessness, negligence or wrongdoing of another can be classified as a personal injury and the victim may be entitled to compensation.
Why Is an Attorney Needed?
Many times the victim of a personal injury may feel as though they may not need representation due a number of factors. They may believe that insurance will compensate for losses or see this as an added expense. However, this is not entirely true. Many insurance agencies may actually deny claims or offer the victim much less than what the claim may be worth. An experienced lawyer can help the victim exercise his rights and ensure fair treatment by these insurance companies.
What Type of Compensation is Available?
There are various types of compensation that the injured party may be eligible to seek in the courts. This can include but is not limited to compensation for time off from work, loss of personal property, medical bills and even pain and suffering. Depending on the nature of the injury, the victim may be eligible to claim future medical bills as well as existing. The amount and type of compensation will ultimately vary on a case-by-case basis.
When Soon Should a Law Firm Be Contacted?
What several victims of personal injury may not understand is that there are time limits placed on filing a claim. This is typically two years from the date of the injury. However, certain types of injuries may have a shorter or longer time period. Even if filing within this time period, those that wait are more likely to have less favorable outcomes. For this reason, a personal injury attorney should be contacted as soon as feasibly possible. The first step in receiving the compensation that they deserve starts with contacting an attorney.
How Much Do Services Cost?
This is among some of the most frequently asked questions that many victims may have. The initial consultation costs the injured absolutely nothing. There is never an obligation to retain services as a result of the consultation either. During this first meeting, the personal injury lawyer will review the facts of the case, offer professional opinion and discuss potential costs associated with retaining these services.
This post comes from Aew, who has been brushing up on her knowledge of personal injury law at the Carter Capner website. If you feel you have grounds for a personal injury lawsuit, you may want to check out the information they have available on their website.