- BOOK REVIEW: 'Please Stop Helping Us': Black Conservative Deconstructs Unintended Consequences of Affirmative Action, Minimum Wage Laws, Public Schools
- REALTORS: Pending Home Sales Rise 3.3% in July
- Former Mail Carrier Made Over 100 Drug Deals While on Duty
- Appalachian Uprising Becomes Jewel City Jamboree in 2015
- Chief Johnson Shakes Up Huntington Druggies in a Style Reminiscent of John Wayne
- Taut "November Man" Debuts; "As Above" Has MU Film Connection
- CARIBBEAN VIEW: Scotland’s Independence: Does it matter?
- CARIBBEAN VIEW: No Caribbean Appetite for a Rum Fight
- Huntington Residents Help Police Nail Two More Detroit Drug Suspects
- Marshall Medical Outreach teams with Cabell Huntington Hospital for women’s health event
Personal Injury Information That Every Victim Needs to Know
What Qualifies as a Personal Injury?
There are several injuries that may actually qualify for personal injury claims in which the victim may be entitled to seek compensation within the courts. This can include but is not limited to slips, trips and falls, automobile accidents and even dog bites, just to name a few of these things. Generally speaking, any event that has caused injury as a result of the carelessness, negligence or wrongdoing of another can be classified as a personal injury and the victim may be entitled to compensation.
Why Is an Attorney Needed?
Many times the victim of a personal injury may feel as though they may not need representation due a number of factors. They may believe that insurance will compensate for losses or see this as an added expense. However, this is not entirely true. Many insurance agencies may actually deny claims or offer the victim much less than what the claim may be worth. An experienced lawyer can help the victim exercise his rights and ensure fair treatment by these insurance companies.
What Type of Compensation is Available?
There are various types of compensation that the injured party may be eligible to seek in the courts. This can include but is not limited to compensation for time off from work, loss of personal property, medical bills and even pain and suffering. Depending on the nature of the injury, the victim may be eligible to claim future medical bills as well as existing. The amount and type of compensation will ultimately vary on a case-by-case basis.
When Soon Should a Law Firm Be Contacted?
What several victims of personal injury may not understand is that there are time limits placed on filing a claim. This is typically two years from the date of the injury. However, certain types of injuries may have a shorter or longer time period. Even if filing within this time period, those that wait are more likely to have less favorable outcomes. For this reason, a personal injury attorney should be contacted as soon as feasibly possible. The first step in receiving the compensation that they deserve starts with contacting an attorney.
How Much Do Services Cost?
This is among some of the most frequently asked questions that many victims may have. The initial consultation costs the injured absolutely nothing. There is never an obligation to retain services as a result of the consultation either. During this first meeting, the personal injury lawyer will review the facts of the case, offer professional opinion and discuss potential costs associated with retaining these services.
This post comes from Aew, who has been brushing up on her knowledge of personal injury law at the Carter Capner website. If you feel you have grounds for a personal injury lawsuit, you may want to check out the information they have available on their website.