- BOOK REVIEW: 'The Opposite of Loneliness': Marina Keegan's Posthumous Collection of Essays, Stories
- OP-ED: Life Near the Mexican Border
- SCENES from April 2014 Art Walk
- Huntington Art Walk Resumes Thursday in Downtown; Author at Adell's Antiques
- Park District Holding Three Easter Egg Hunts
- Ginseng Harvest Returns as "Appalachian Outlaws"
- Jacobs-Jones named senior vice president for operations
- CONSUMER ALERT: Jury Duty Phishing Scam; Verified by Snopes
- Sen. Manchin Introduces Bill to Keep 150 WV Post Offices Open for Two Years
- WV AG Seeks Dismissal of Charleston Gun Suit
Journalism school to welcome radio host Glynn Washington Tuesday, Feb. 4
"Snap Judgment" is a themed, weekly NPR storytelling show sponsored by the Corporation for Public Broadcasting and distributed through NPR and Public Radio Exchange (PRX). According to the producers, Washington and the Snap Judgment team highlight "compelling personal stories - mixing real life with killer beats to produce cinematic, dramatic and kick-ass radio." The show's web page (http://www.snapjudgment.org) offers podcasts of the program and background on the stories' participants. It can be heard locally Sundays at 9 p.m. on West Virginia Public Radio, 89.9 FM in Huntington and 88.5 FM in Charleston.
Before creating "Snap Judgment," Washington says he worked as an educator, diplomat, community activist, actor, political strategist, fist-shaker, mountain-hollerer and foot stomper. He composed music for the Kunst Stoff dance performances in San Francisco, rocked live spoken word poetry in Detroit, joined a band in Indonesia, wrote several screenplays, painted a daring series of self portraits, released a blues album and thinks his stories are best served with cocktails.
Washington's appearance is part of the Marshall University Birke Fine Arts Festival, which is based on the theme, "Trending Now: Artists and Audiences in the Information Age." A list of festival events is available at www.bit.ly/2014BirkeFestival. All are free and open to the public unless otherwise noted.