- BOOK REVIEW: 'A Quick Guide to Freemasonry': You've Got Questions, David Harrison Has the Answers
- BOOK REVIEW: 'The Opposite of Loneliness': Marina Keegan's Posthumous Collection of Essays, Stories
- CoreLogic April Edition of MarketPulse Report Examines Single-Family Housing Starts and Fallout from the Expiration of the Mortgage Forgiveness Debt Relief Act
- Huntington Man Pleads Guilty to Robbing Drug Dealer''s Apartment
- Researchers to present at the World Congress on Endometriosis in Brazil
- Mayor Tells Comcast, "Folks Aren't Happy...."
- Jacobs-Jones becoming MU vice president
- Fallen Huntington Police Officer to be Remembered
- BOOK REVIEW: 'Gone Girl': Nick and Amy Dunne, Folie å Deux in a Mississippi River Town
- CFPB Proposes Revision to Rule Protecting Consumers Sending Money Internationally
PSC This Week Reopened WVAW Case
FROM PSC ORDER: This has been a particularly trying but significant decision. WVAWC asserted
both in its testimony and briefs that the actions of the Commission in entering the
Commission Order were an unwarranted intrusion on the “right” of WVAWC to conduct
its affairs in a manner consistent with the business judgment of its management.
WVAWC continues to argue that position in its Petition asserting that the Commission
has exceeded its authority, but it does narrow the focus of its concern to the language of
the Commission Order that required WVAWC to maintain a complement of
In the Commission Order, the Commission recited its statutory duty and
responsibilities to prescribe fair and prompt regulations that promote adequate,
economical and reliable utility services throughout the State. Those are not mere bald
assertions. The Commission is charged by statute with balancing the interests of
customers, regulated utilities and the economy in general in its decisions. See. W.Va.
Code 824-1-1, Commission Order at 8, 9. These duties impose an obligation on the
Commission to act if it finds that acts and practices of a utility endanger the quality of
service it is required to provide. W.Va. Code §$24-2-2,24-2-7.