- Sheetz Development Narrowly Passes Planning Commission
- 70 Years of Atomic Bombs: Can We Disarm Yet?
- $2.09 Per Gallon Gas Called Sign Mechanical Problem
- Senate President Cole, Speaker of the House Armstead Pledge to Defend West Virginia's Coal Mining Industry
- University to partner on $20 million scientific research grant
- Former A+ Care Pharmacy Sentenced to 64 Months in Federal Prison and Forfeited $2.3 Million and a Lexus
- Huntington Audit Recommendations Spur City Council Disagreement
- BREAKING: Two Police Officers Ambushed in Brooklyn
- Census Bureau Estimates Show How School-Age Child Poverty in Every County Compares with Prerecession Levels
- CFPB Spotlights Concerns with Medical Debt Collection and Reporting; CFPB to Require Credit Reporting Agencies to Regularly Report on Consumer Disputes
PSC This Week Reopened WVAW Case
FROM PSC ORDER: This has been a particularly trying but significant decision. WVAWC asserted
both in its testimony and briefs that the actions of the Commission in entering the
Commission Order were an unwarranted intrusion on the “right” of WVAWC to conduct
its affairs in a manner consistent with the business judgment of its management.
WVAWC continues to argue that position in its Petition asserting that the Commission
has exceeded its authority, but it does narrow the focus of its concern to the language of
the Commission Order that required WVAWC to maintain a complement of
In the Commission Order, the Commission recited its statutory duty and
responsibilities to prescribe fair and prompt regulations that promote adequate,
economical and reliable utility services throughout the State. Those are not mere bald
assertions. The Commission is charged by statute with balancing the interests of
customers, regulated utilities and the economy in general in its decisions. See. W.Va.
Code 824-1-1, Commission Order at 8, 9. These duties impose an obligation on the
Commission to act if it finds that acts and practices of a utility endanger the quality of
service it is required to provide. W.Va. Code §$24-2-2,24-2-7.