- Adding Beauty to the Fall at Barboursville Park
- Sir Ronald Sanders Awarded Honorary Doctorate by University of The West Indies
- Two Members of Newman Drug Gang Enter Guilty Pleas
- CARIBBEAN VIEW: Scotland’s Independence: Does it matter?
- Preventing Substance Abuse and Mental Illness
- OP-ED: Michael Brown and America’s Structural Violence Epidemic
- Coast Guardsman teaches water rescue to Cub Scouts in South Texas
- "Ouija" Startles, But no Shrieks or Shocks Here
- 2014 Furbearer Trapping Seasons to Open Nov. 1
- UP CLOSE: Preparing to "Jump" and Taking the "Plunge" on Bridge Day Images
Snow, Ice Alerts Bring Atlanta Metro to Stop
However, Atlanta has not been the hardest hit. The Carolinas and other southern stateshave been brutally pounded. Pushing up the coast, the system now heads East toward Philadelphia and Boston.
A Metro Atlanta correspondent "saw almost no one on the road/streets." She stated, "The real problem here is when snow thaws & re-freezes and turns into ice and results in hazardous driving/walking conditions. Since we don't usually get this kind of weather, most people don't have snow tires or chains."
Unlike a few weeks ago, business and schools have been closed since Tuesday. Fortunately,, the ice did not stick but sleet took over Wednesday, Feb. 12. Ice can be found hanging on the bush. Determinations for the status of the Atlanta metro have not been made for Friday, Feb. 13.
Atlanta officials appeared to have taken a lesson from the previous "snow - jam" where it took several days for things to clear and students and workers were in some cases stranded on road overnight.
HNN's source explained that one commuter bus driver had been stuck on his bus for 18 hours. Many people endured 10-12 hour gridlock. One person was "lucky" that he got home in seven hours. A few people stayed in their offices for one or two nights, some people stayed with friends who lived in areas they could walk or ride the MARTA rail.Washington, D.C. has shut down for Thursday, Feb. 13 with more anticipated. 500,000 are without power in the south.